Discuss Dodgy Screed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stewart

Hi peeps, looking for some opinions on this. I've have a job to tile a 150 metres of travertine on this floor. It's a six week old sand & cement screed on top piped underfloor heating, which in turn is on top of plastic eggbox type insulation on top of a solid concrete floor. The insulation and screed total 70mm with the screed being around 30mm of that.

IMO the floor is an absolute mess and after checking the levels today, it's out as much as 25mm in places. It's also crumbling under foot and crazing in the high traffic area's. I think the screed is too thin and the mix is also too week.

Now I've been asked to quote to level the floor (102 bags) but I believe the screed in going to fail regardless of what I do on top of it. So the questions are.... Can slc over this floor once cleaned and primed, ate there any treatments I can use to sure then a week mix or does the original screed need replaced...??

56b6d532-fbde-5db7.jpg
56b6d532-fbfe-a01d.jpg
56b6d532-fc13-c728.jpg
56b6d532-fc30-8222.jpg

Created on iPhone.....

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
You need to find out specifically what system was used before Conde ing it totally although on the face of it it does ot look great. The bel tech therm underfloor heating system from schluter conforms to the description you have given. This sytem should be used in conjunction with ditra matting. Schluter are very specific about the details so if it is this system then you should not need to dig p and replace. I am not aware of any other systems like this one although I guess there may be some. In my own opinion if it is not this system run kicking and screaming from it. If it is this system then contact schluter for advice before proceeding but it should be ok to proceed.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Sorry did not read your full post. Crumblim is usually. Associated with the screed having been laid too dry or drying out too quickly. This would need to be addressed and rectified before tiling could commence. The other issue I see is that levelling it might prove detrimental because a levelling compound might prove too strong to work with the system.

On second thoughts you might be better advising starting again or walk away from it and let someone else have the issues

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Before walking away you should look at the possibilities of repairing it. Ardex have been mentioned. Bostik and flowcrete also do some good stuff. Ardex do psrs which is fornrepairing this sort of thing. No point walking away until all the options are looked at eh?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Dodgy Screed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
I've had two quotes for tiling a kitchen and hallway. The kitchen is to have underfloor heating...
Replies
Views
Waluigi
W
S
I have a project of tiling my kitchen floor in my hands and i want to do it right at once rather...
Replies
Views
schakal
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Dodgy Screed
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.