Discuss Dodgy tiling nightmare in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

theskiingbear

Hi, hope you can help me. We're in the process of having bathrooms refitted. Tiles, ceramic approx 400 x 200mm in our shower enclosure appear to be badly adhered to the wall - tap them and there are hollow areas. We've terminated our contractor, not literally alas, as this is one of many issues. We dont know what has been used to apply tiles, if the plasterboard under the tiles has been tanked and it looks like he's used floor grout for the walls - its very coarse. I can tell you this as we've had a top guy from BAL out to have a look at our floors, also not good. Also the apex where the tiles meet on the shower wall has also been grouted and then covered with silicone, which I see from forums is a no no. Another problem albeit smaller.

Question I have is : is there any way we can determine if the walls have been tanked without taking all the tiles down? Given the adhesion issue and the fact that we dont know whats going on under the tiles do you reckon we just cut our losses - a total of £2K across all our floors and wall tiles - remove the lot and redo?...

Last edited by a moderator:

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hmm do you have pics we can see?

did you specify that you wanted tanking to the tiler? the grout can be removed thats on your walls and re grouted and same for the silicone over the grout issue that can be resolved

the main issue from what you have said is it sounds like your tiles may have been dot and dabbed if they sound hollow,do they all sound hollow? also do the floor tiles sound hollow?

what was mr bals verdict then on the fllors and walls?

Last edited:
P

PJPro

If it was me, I'd live with it and see how things went. You might as well get some use out of the tiles which have been laid rather than just taking them all down. Of course, water may get into places you'd rather it didn't causing greater expense downstream.

Was a skim of plaster applied to the plasterboard before tiling? If the tiles have been applied directly to the plasterboard, it could prove tricky to remove the tiles without damaging the board.

T

theskiingbear

The guy from BAL reckons the subfloor is incorrect, 6mm ply and as a result of this and the fact that unsuitable adhesive and grout has been used, we;ve got movement in the floor and this is causing cracks in the grout lines. The bathroom floor and entrance floor, which has the same issue, are all having to be removed and refitted. Real bummer.

We didnt specify that the plasterboard should be tanked, nor did we specify grouts and adhesives. We believed we had a professional doing the job, which we now know wasnt the case. Until we had the issues we hadnt even heard of tanking. We have got a contractor coming in to finish and make good the bathroom refit and he is bringing a tiler in to sort out the floors and potentially wet areas. I'm pretty sure, given other issues we've uncovered that our contractor didnt tank the walls. We are so reluctant to redo the walls though, as we have got 2 areas to redo and the showers are in e.g. our ensuite and main bathroom as both were fitted by our first contractor. When the tiler comes we will discuss it with him and see what he reckons. The suggestion to remove grout to see whats below is a good idea and we'll discuss this with the tiler. If it all has to come off the walls and be redone, then so be it as I'd hate to be storing a major can of woop *** for later.

If only you could buy hindsight.....

Many thanks to all who have contributed. Sorry I havent replied but we've been trying to sort it all out.

T

theskiingbear

Hi Kilty, no not all the wall tiles sound hollow and likewise on the floor. BAL guy reckons the floor is a definite lift and replace. On the wall tiles he said it is harder to judge without taking them off but he does think they have been spot fitted, hence the hollow aspect. That in itself he said is a problem but we could wait and see if the tiles come off in time. But the BAL guy raised the issue of tanking, avising us that it should have been done and if we werent sure if it had been we should redo the wet areas....

Reply to Dodgy tiling nightmare in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Dodgy tiling nightmare
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.