Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Dodgy wall questions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Handy Manny

Right. Spoken to customer and I think she'll go for lining. Think she understands that anything else is daft however cheap she wants to be. Whilst I am quite happy to 'donate' as much time as is needed for a good job, at the moment donating materials is not much of an option :(

So from what you good people have advised and what I've seen elsewhere my current intention is to break walls down to studs and re-line with standard 12.5 plaster board (can't get the money for backer board and it's not that readily available locally) prime and tile merrily away :) Hopefully find some proper adhesive and grout at one of the local merchants too.

Thanks all

T

The Handy Manny

Thanks for all the advice folks. Has been a long day but got a lot done. Walls were back to plaster at end of yesterday so today removed said plaster and boarded out. All new to me today but fairly pleased with the result so far:

4812812358_7fac2e2b02_b.jpg

4812187691_8816afb2c0_b.jpg

4812812880_747d450dfa_b.jpg

4812813120_7cd813ab26_b.jpg

Thanks again :thumbsup:

T

The Handy Manny

In theory yes, i.e. the website let me reserve them at the one on the other side of town, and no, they rang and said there were all out of stock. The one round the corner had none. At least they rang so for now I've got powdered unibond tile on floors adhesive and grout from Homebase as today took far too long and I'll sort something out for the walls. Not perfect but a start.
I'd forgotten how shoddy this age of house was. Once the wall was stripped there was all of 1 1/2" studs at 600mm centres, so added to them and did as best I could with the board. Was challenging getting the two layers of board of without landing in the next room. The board you can see with the egg box on is the back of the next room!

Thanks for your help

T

The Handy Manny

Because of some of the finish I did to area's I hadn't quoted for, and did with my own materials, as she was going to do them but didn't bother. Also minor snagging which I would have done if she hadn't been quite so rude and threatening. As it was I very much got the impression she never intended to pay what was agreed. Seemed to think that £400 got you a £5k job and blamed me for faults with materials she supplied.
In the end I got most of it in cash (after offering to remove goods to the value of etc) and some more in a cheque with her guarantee card details on the back so hopefully that won't bounce! Seems that this is how she treats all trades and never uses the same person twice, I assume cos they won't come back.

D

Deleted member 9966

Because of some of the finish I did to area's I hadn't quoted for, and did with my own materials, as she was going to do them but didn't bother. Also minor snagging which I would have done if she hadn't been quite so rude and threatening. As it was I very much got the impression she never intended to pay what was agreed. Seemed to think that £400 got you a £5k job and blamed me for faults with materials she supplied.
In the end I got most of it in cash (after offering to remove goods to the value of etc) and some more in a cheque with her guarantee card details on the back so hopefully that won't bounce! Seems that this is how she treats all trades and never uses the same person twice, I assume cos they won't come back.

well if you don't get paid what you are owed, offer to do the snagging in return for full and final payment. if she still refuses to pay, take her to small claims court my good man. there's too many of these types of people popping up now, taking good, decent, hardworking tradesmen for a ride.

bad customers and cowboy tradesmen are just ruining it for everybody else :mad2:

T

The Handy Manny

Thanks for that. I already lost a bit to get anything out of her so won't be going back but I will take her to small claims if the cheque bounces!
Way I look at is there were some items needing a little work which she would have got done if she'd been reasonable and polite. However for the money (and I didn't try and charge for the extra days work due to state of walls and changes of mind) she got a really nice looking bathroom, especially considering the bargain basement materials she supplied (note to all customers buy a bath panel that fits the bath you've bought and is the same length as it). No doubt if she employed a time served plumber, plasterer, spark and tiler she would have got a better job but as she said when she first rang me she wanted the job 'cheap as'!
Any hoo she's already on Rated People looking for some one else to scam.

Reply to Dodgy wall questions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi, im looking for some advice please on what correct adhesives and tanking to use in regards to...
Replies
Views
Hi been browsing the forum, lots of good advice. I’m after some myself of you don’t mind...
Replies
Views
I am a part-time handyman - have done floor tiling before and small areas of wall tiling but...
Replies
Views
W
Hey guys, being relatively new to tiling professionally and having taken on a job that was...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Dodgy wall questions
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks