Discuss Does Sealing The Back Of Stone Impair Adhesion? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonnyc

I think it depends on what sealer you are referring to.a surface seal that makes stone totally non porous would not help adhesion. An impregnator sealer on a fairly open porous stone would not impair I don't think.depends on the stone underside and the sealer really I imagine. Not sure where this leading to but I have heard of self cleaning tiles and I guess there could be aversion for stone .
And suppliers may dunk them in a magic sealer before distribution.

What are your opinions regarding sealing stone by sealing the full tile, front, back and sides before fixing. Do you think it would impair the adhesive bond ?

I always seal tiles before grouting on edges and top.
Bottom of tiles have full buttered surface in adhesive.

I don't seal the back edge because it's completely buttered. If it was sealed the addy wouldn't completely grab the tile due to using porosity to mechanically bond the two together.

Look at it from a different angle,
I prime all substrates so it helps adhere and regulates the porosity and dusting.
If I was to use something which impregnated the substrate for the use of stopping staining and absorption then the adhesive wouldn't properly adhere to the substrate..?

G

Gazzer

I always seal tiles before grouting on edges and top.
Bottom of tiles have full buttered surface in adhesive.

I don't seal the back edge because it's completely buttered. If it was sealed the addy wouldn't completely grab the tile due to using porosity to mechanically bond the two together.

Look at it from a different angle,
I prime all substrates so it helps adhere and regulates the porosity and dusting.
If I was to use something which impregnated the substrate for the use of stopping staining and absorption then the adhesive wouldn't properly adhere to the substrate..?

Thank you , that was the response I was hoping for.

T

TJ Smiler

It's not something i would do but i can't really see why it would affect the adhesive sticking, if you think about it we seal the face and the edges before we grout with a cement based grout. I would have thought that if a sealer was going to impair the bond strength of cement based adhesive then it would also impair the bond strength of cement based grout too, i know adhesive is a different product to grout but on the basis they are still quiet similar so i can't really see why it would cause a problem.

Never really seal the backs myself just faces and edges.
The advantage of sealing the backs though would seem not only for some types of older less advanced adhesive burning through but also for wet cutting to make the water bead on the tile and not soak through again having to dry out for an eternity, as laying the tiles with them sealed on the top and not on the bottom would trap moisture surely if they weren't 100% dry?
So swaying off topic a little, how do all you guys dry your cuts especially at this time of the year and on sites with little to no heat?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Does Sealing The Back Of Stone Impair Adhesion? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB