UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Dont mess with the old man ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

I had to take on some site work to keep the pennies rolling in so a guy I know who has been wanting me to work for him for a while offered me some day work. When I got to the site it wasnt ready...hadnt even been plastered. So a call to his mobile was made and he apologised and sent me to another job, nearer home this time. i also got told he would pay for the time and fuel wasted. I was to go to a local trading estate and tile a factory unit toilet, freshly plastered and all materials on site. A room number was given me and off I went.
On arriving at the job at 9.30am, i found the room and tiles. I knew the site agent from previous work for another company and he joked about something that I didnt fully understand yet. i had to check the other tilers work for heights and colour band which had already been started in some other rooms. I found that and took note and measured the skirting height. As i turned to go back to my room I noticed in the 3 rooms that had been tiled that they werent completed.
About 45 minutes later I was asked who I was by a youngish guy and an even younger kid. I said who I was and it was soon apparant that they were upset by me being there. This was "their job " so they said. Actually they work for the same guy I was working for. Iexplained what happened earlier that day but the 1st guy was non too happy and called the boss on the phone. Well I could hear most of what was said and again the 1st tiler wasnt happy at all. He was told that they must finish all the rooms they have started before moving onto the last of the 2 rooms.
It seems I later found out that they have a habit of starting rooms and doing the straight but leaving areas with all sorts of excuses then they will leave the work for someone else.
Anyway I was setting out and I had started tiling before they had a chance to say anything else so they stormed off to one of their rooms. Now due to the way the rooms were, I could hear most of what they were saying about me. They decided they were going to get all the bits finished and get a start on both of the other rooms to stop me getting in there tomorrow.
Now I wasnt that bothered as I had only agreed to working 2 days for this guy but my red mist descended due to their attitude and bad mouthing. What i heard was them calling me an "old codger" and that I would be in this room for 3 days.....
So all through the day I could hear them and see them when I went out to get more adhesive or tiles and the younger of the two was no more than a skivvy for the older one.
4pm rolled round and I was walking out to the van with my tools when I saw the younger one nip into the room where I was working. As I came back he looked shocked to see me catch him coming out of the room.....actually he was more shocked that I tiled the room all but one reveal where I had no more trim.. The room was 24m2 :smilewinkgrin: got to grout tomorrow but I have told them that the boss has told me to carry on tomorrow and fill my day in by tiling one of the other rooms ( which is only about 7m2)...they are not too happy at all :smilewinkgrin:
Just about to leave when the site agent cathes me and tells me that the 2 guys have been on that site for all last week and monday and tuesday so far....total measure approx 55m2. It seems they turn up late in the morning claiming to have to go and pick " stuff" up and every time they leave they take things ( adhesive trim and grout) away with them..... They dont ever bring anything other than their tools. So obviously they are stealing the bosses materials for their own jobs on the side. they also have an hour breakfast at the estates cafe and same for lunch. So i make that they only work about 5 hours at most a day. the rate being paid isnt that good so how are they making it pay, even with the stuff they are taking it cant be much.
I do have a feeling though that when i arrive on site in the morning they will have tried to make a start in both of those rooms but we will see and I am not all that bothered anyway.

G

Gazzer

These are the types that are under quoting all the decent tilers and then taking, the people who have given them the work, for mugs! At least you showed them what a pro tiler can achieve in a day.

It really angers me as I was once an employer of up to 28 fixers and I know all this happened to me too. I know a few lads around here that work for these types of companies and they are alll knicking gear from the guy that gives them work. They will be crying though when the firm goes belly up through loss of profits.

G

Gazzer

I would always say that speed isnt as important as the finish... But taking the ****** isnt on at all. What was the standard of work like?

It was neither fantastic or bad....It was perfectably acceptable up until the point I saw it this morning....not sure what they did after as this morning most of the cutting hadnt been done.

Oh yeah I remember now, when I say acceptable I mean its was fine except for the setting out which was just full tile from which ever corner they were nearest at the time. Spacing and grouting looked fine but why grout before finishing the tiling ?

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

Well done for making them look like the plonkers they are. Clearly the bloke whos given you the job knows what they're upto now.

i wouldnt be so sure Dan, i have tried to work out the situation and the only way I can see it is that the young kid is direct for the company and gets minimum wages and the other guy will be self employed but works for this company all the time and does his on work at the weekends. I have seen it so many times.

Reply to Dont mess with the old man ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, We had an outdoor limestone patio laid at the start of June (finished circa 07/06/24)...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.