Discuss dot and dabbing plasterboard ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Aston

hope this info ive listed helps a bit with your question..

i would fix direct to the block/brickwork. make sure all dust is brushed off and dampen if the wall has a high suction.
if the wall have a very low suction, then give it a coat of sbr, not pva for tiling.

. No priming required unless the boards are particularly dusty, warm /dried out or old.
. Maximum weight ratio is 32kg/per m2
. Skimmed plasterboard weight ratio is reduced to 20kg/per m2
. Foil back plasterboards must be mechanically fixed to timber or metal frame work.
. 12.5mm boards fixed to timber should be fixed with 38mm screws; metal should have 25mm screws.
. Water sensitive, suffers from mould ingress due to paper lining but has good ‘fire resistance’.
. There are 3 board thickness’s 9.5mm, 12.5mm and 15mm
. Board sizes are: 1200mm x 240, 2400mm x 120mm and 3000mm x 1200mm.
. Fix boards with the ivory side facing you, not the darker side.
. When tiling to a ‘dot and dabbed wall’ then the boards must be left for 7 days to cure prior to tiling.
. If fixing stone or thick porcelain to a dot and dabbed wall, add an extra horizontal bed of adhesive at the mid way point of the plasterboard for extra strength
. Useful technical info ‘The White book’ on the British gypsum website.
. Knauf also manufacture plaster boards.

Installation...
There are 2 methods of fixing plasterboards
1. Dot & Dab – boards are cut to size and adhesive is mixed ready to dab on the walls. Dabs are placed every 300mm across and down the boards using a plasters/dabbing trowel.
There MUST be a full line of adhesive around the perimeter of the wall inc electrical boxes. Dabs are compressed to around 10mm thick and a 10mm air void should be maintained behind the boards for fitting cables etc.
2. Mechanical Fixing – boards are screwed to timber or metal wall partitioning at 300mm centres on walls, 230mm on ceilings. (nails are @ 150mm centres)
3. Screws for metal = 25mm screws for timber = 38mm

GYPROC GREEN BOARDwater resistant plaster board

. Water resistant ‘green’ paper faced plasterboard. (green both sides!)
. There are 2 board thickness’s 12mm and 15mm
. 12mm thick boards are: 1200mm x 2400mm
. 15mm thick boards are: 1200mm x 2400mm, 2400x 1200mm and 3000mm, x 1200mm
. Maximum weight ratio is 32kg/ per m2.
. Boards can be ‘feather edged’ OR ‘flat edged’ and it is installed exactly like plasterboard.
. Boards can be skimmed but require an acrylic primer ie thistle bond-it, to ensure a stable bond.
. Tile on the ‘light green’ side of the boards.
. No gap is required between the boards, just lightly press together and tape the joints with fiber tape.

Installation...
Fix in the same way as plaster board!

Reply to dot and dabbing plasterboard ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all what adhesive would you recommend for dot and dabbing foam cored backer board onto...
Replies
Views
Hi all - I have some small format ceramic tiles (10x10x1cm) to use as a splash back around the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am in the middle of renovating my bathroom. First of its kind for me! The walls were...
Replies
Views
Hi, so I’m relatively new to tiling. I’ve got a job where the walls aren’t 100% flat but not the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
dot and dabbing plasterboard ?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.