Discuss Dot & Dabbed Porcelain tiles - job in progress in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

arc

Gents,

After some advice here.
Pics below show the state of my kitchen floor this afternoon. The work has been done by a checkatrade registered tiler with good feedback.

The floor has 3 areas, at either end is a concrete floored extension with original wood flooring in the central part.

The floor was PVAd, then covered with a flexible adhesive then Ditra matting to avoid movement issues between the substrates. The surface was then covered in self levelling compound.

The tiles are 40x40 wickes porcelein tiles and the adhesive is wickes flexible porcelein adhesive (after a change from the Mapei rigid adhesive which was used for the first few tiles). After I requested a flexible adhesive we lifted the tiles and cleaned them off ready for the wickes adhesive.

As the new adhesive is rapid setting the tiler has now switched from a trowelled application to a dot and dabbed method. Looking around on the web I've seen countless threads criticising the dot & dab method and claims that british standards rule against this method. Any suggestions welcome...

If the tiles do need to come up - is the adhesive likely to pull up the SLC / Ditra?

Attachments

• tn_CIMG8526.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 219
  • tn_CIMG8527.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 209
  • tn_CIMG8528.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 231
  • tn_CIMG8531.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 231
  • tn_CIMG8532.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 239
  • tn_CIMG8533.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 231
  • tn_CIMG8534.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 250
  • tn_CIMG8535.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 239
  • tn_CIMG8536.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 247
I

Ian

re: Dot & Dabbed Porceliain tiles - job in progress

Afternoon, quite a few issues you have there. The PVA is a big no no, an acrylic primer should have been used. You also really need to have an expansion joint where the two different substrates meet as ditra only helps with lateral movement, this can be done using a silicone to match your grout so that it is not noticeable. Finally dot and dab is not a recommended method of fixing tiles, I'm being a bit polite, it is a totally unacceptable fixing method. If you do decide to take the tiles up there is quite a high chance that the SLC will come with it, possibly the ditra also.

R

Rich

Im afraid that Bri is bang on. That is a terrible installation! PVA is not suitable for any job in a tiling installation.Please have a read through the link below

read: P.V.A. Versus Primers

Regardless of this, I doubt that floor will last more than a month or two. Every adhesive has a max depth, it looks like he has exceeded this depth but more importantly, you need to get 100% coverage of adhesive under floor tiles (I dont need to point out that you dont have that on this floor) otherwise they crack, split and come loose. All it takes is a table leg or some1 wearing hight heels.

Please do me a favor and contact Check a trade and tell them that you are not happy, this is what they are there for. Im sick to the back teeth of hearing about people being ripped off by cowboys.

Oh and needless to say, dont pay him a penny.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms

I think the floor will probably be okay as long as long as you don't walk on it!

I can't believe the installer has knowledge of ditra mats and SLC etc but chooses to dot and dab, he's the one who will get the dreaded call that the tiles are cracking which means he's seriously out of pocket.

You say he had good freedback? He's not from one of these My Builder sites is he?

D

DHTiling

I am gobsmacked..!!!

That is atrocious , no support on corners etc.. you should really SLC the floor before installing the uncoupling mat.. but that method of fixing is so so wrong and a failure is deffo due..

You need to stop this installation now and confront this so called tiler and say that this method is not providing 100% support/coverage to your tiles and that he has not followed BS5385 fixing methods..

R

Rich

I have had to put right a lot of work carried out by tilers that have been rated really high on check a trade (including a lady that was getting electric shocks from the shower), every time I ask "have you got hold of check a trade?" and they always say "oh no, I dont want to make a fuss". Please do not be one of these people, give him a bad review and make it very clear to him and to check a trade that you are unhappy with it. This guy will continue to rip people off if nobody starts to give him bad reviews.

A

arc

Thanks chaps. As I feared.
Six hours after they were laid I had a go at lifting them. Of the Sixty six tiles laid, just three broke and they were the ones which were laid before switching to the dot & dab method.
Sadly the SLC has come away in about six areas pulling up the Ditra matting.

So now I'm in a position of having to get the whole lot back up again. And I'm dreading it.
Further questions to follow once Tomorrow is out of the way.

Thanks for the suport so far.....

S

Stewart

i can't understand why he went to the trouble of dot and dabbing when it would have been easier to do it properly . you can see the floor is lovely and flat. good luck with rectifying it. pity you never came on here for advice before you employed him. you will be able to find a tiler on here if you want to

I think that's where the problem lies..... It looks nice a flat, but tthe fixer has just gone through the motions of levelling the floor. I bet there was no staff or laser used and the whole floor was just given a 2mm skim on top of the Ditra...

Created on iPhone.....

Reply to Dot & Dabbed Porcelain tiles - job in progress in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Further to my other post re our hollow tiles issue It looks like our tiler has dot and dabbed...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am in the middle of renovating my bathroom. First of its kind for me! The walls were...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Dot & Dabbed Porcelain tiles - job in progress
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.