Discuss Dot & Dabbed Porcelain tiles - job in progress in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Colour Republic

re: Dot & Dabbed Porceliain tiles - job in progress

I'm totally confused!

From your spec you're saying the guy ditra'd the floor, then SLC'd, then dot and dabbed? It seems a very wierd spec. For sombody to go to those lengths then mess up the laying of the tiles seems totally strange? Maybe they read that spec online (maybe even on here!) and completely mis-understood the methods, stages and order involved???

Now you say the tiles are 400x400 and yet they are made to look like 200x200's pre grouted?? I don't mean to appear rude but those tiles can't of cost much per square meter. That is no excuse for poor fixing but the ditra and SLC would I guess be far more £££'s per square meter than the tiles themselves. It just seems very wrong to me.

I'm still trying to get my head round this one and that's before we get to the D&D!!!!

I'm going to bed!

Last edited by a moderator:
A

arc

Now you say the tiles are 400x400 and yet they are made to look like 200x200's pre grouted?? I don't mean to appear rude but those tiles can't of cost much per square meter. That is no excuse for poor fixing but the ditra and SLC would I guess be far more £££'s per square meter than the tiles themselves. It just seems very wrong to me.

Well OK the tiles aren't expensive. We found nothing we liked at 3 tile shops and these ones for Wickes were on sale and in the right style. We don't have the finances to buy top end tiles.

Today's update is that the job has now been terminated and monies paid for materials are being returned.
I'm going to be cleaning up the mess myself. What may be the largest problem is that the adhesive used to stick down the Ditra is still soft. All in all a bit of a catalogue of errors.

tn_CIMG8538.JPG tn_CIMG8542.JPG tn_CIMG8545.JPG

A

arc

Interesting, what was his excuse for his fixing method?

What poor fixing method? (!) Tiler was still adamant that the fixing method was OK. He admitted he was wrong in his choice of adhesive for fixing down the Ditra and offered to cleanup and re-lay the whole thing. On removing - some of the dots were still 'pastey' 13 hours after laying. (2hr rapid set).

It has given me the excuse to break out the SDS Max.... but I've no idea how to clean up properly to give me a decent surface which can be laid on again.

Any way to 'clean' adhesive remnants?
Any wey to remove self levelling compound? (off floorboards / concrete)

Thanks again,

Attachments

• tn_CIMG8551.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 102
C

Colour Republic

Well OK the tiles aren't expensive. We found nothing we liked at 3 tile shops and these ones for Wickes were on sale and in the right style. We don't have the finances to buy top end tiles.

Today's update is that the job has now been terminated and monies paid for materials are being returned.
I'm going to be cleaning up the mess myself. What may be the largest problem is that the adhesive used to stick down the Ditra is still soft. All in all a bit of a catalogue of errors.

View attachment 31708 View attachment 31709 View attachment 31710

Sorry wasn't trying to offend just seems the 'tiler' spent most of your budget getting it wrong. If he hadn't you would have had more money in your back pocket!

Seeing as some of the adhesive is still wet and the tiles appear to have come up cleanly I think he may have mixed the adhesive wrong and then adding water as he went along trying to extend the pot life?? Hang just noticed you said the addy to stick down the Ditra is still soft, so have you lifted sections of the Ditra then?

I can see a well used washboy in the pictures meaning it looks like he may have laid a fair few floors like this:mad2: Same old story where someone tells you 'I've been doing it like this for 30 years!' well you've been doing it wrong you 30 years then haven't you!:incazzato:

A

arc

How do these people get work?

Quite simple really - Unless you know someone who has had a tiling job done recently, where do you go?

Check a trade for starters..... but in hindsight, I can now see that Check-a-trade is a bit of a farce. Why?:

1) Most consumers probably don't know what they're getting. I only exposed all this by questioning practice, calling MAPEI technical and going online. Most people probably just see a shiny end product and leave glowing feedback before any issues arise.
2) Almost exlusively people only leave positive feedback. Unlike eBay where people live long distances apart, if you're unhappy with a tradesman & have entered a dispute, they know where you live who your wife / cat / dog / cars are parked. What have you to gain by leaving a derogatary statement on check-a-trade?

Live and learn.......

More importantly perhaps.... is how do you find a GOOD tiler / tradesman?

A

arc

Seeing as some of the adhesive is still wet and the tiles appear to have come up cleanly I think he may have mixed the adhesive wrong and then adding water as he went along trying to extend the pot life??

Yup - I think your bang on there.

Hang just noticed you said the addy to stick down the Ditra is still soft, so have you lifted sections of the Ditra then?

Yes to that one too. He actually admitted to using two different adhesives (possibly mixed in places) to stick down the Ditra. One of them is still soft enough to pull up the ditra like a roll of carpet - 2 days on.
The 2nd adhesive (whickes rapid adhesive) has sadly stuck like the proverbial to a blanket. I'm having to chisel the Dirta up Cm by Cm at present.
Nightmare.

On another note regarding the PVA, (it was an Admix from Wickes too - which recommended on the bottle using Acrylic primer for floors instead!) it seems to have given no bonding issues at all. If it had, I'd be very happy as it'd have made all this alot easier to remove.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rich

Quite simple really - Unless you know someone who has had a tiling job done recently, where do you go?

Check a trade for starters..... but in hindsight, I can now see that Check-a-trade is a bit of a farce. Why?:

1) Most consumers probably don't know what they're getting. I only exposed all this by questioning practice, calling MAPEI technical and going online. Most people probably just see a shiny end product and leave glowing feedback before any issues arise.
2) Almost exlusively people only leave positive feedback. Unlike eBay where people live long distances apart, if you're unhappy with a tradesman & have entered a dispute, they know where you live who your wife / cat / dog / cars are parked. What have you to gain by leaving a derogatary statement on check-a-trade?

Live and learn.......

Well you are completely right. To answer your question, you come to tilers forums to find a good tiler. The more of these jobs we help to sort out, hopefully the more people will come here and get free advice from some truly skilled craftsmen and even get a recommended pro. Spread the word!

B

Bolter

Yup - I think your bang on there.

Yes to that one too. He actually admitted to using two different adhesives (possibly mixed in places) to stick down the Ditra. One of them is still soft enough to pull up the ditra like a roll of carpet - 2 days on.
The 2nd adhesive (whickes rapid adhesive) has sadly stuck like **** to a blanket. I'm having to chisel the Dirta up Cm by Cm at present.
Nightmare.

On another note regarding the PVA, (it was an Admix from Wickes too - which recommended on the bottle using Acrylic primer for floors instead!) it seems to have given no bonding issues at all. If it had, I'd be very happy as it'd have made all this alot easier to remove.

Tradetiler tilers Chisels, Scrapers & Scribes

2nd 3rd or 4th item on this page. Put in SDS, SDS is now a beast, and will rip up anything on the floor. Good luck!

G

Gazzer

I'm Looking for a Wall and Floor Tiler

then when anyone from here contacts you, check what their posts say. Do they sound professional. Do they take pride in their job ? Are they established, Are they local and willing to give you a quote and advice ?......Most tilers here fit those requirements perfectly and many have photos of their work too so you can see what they can achieve.

Live and learn.......

Sorry to read this thread - incredibly similar to the fiasco that took place in our house last weekend, as reported and documented on this forum. I'd seen enough after 3 hours and sent him packing. Thankfully, we hadn't paid him, but we lost 60-70 floor tiles in the process which ended up in the tip and we will now have to replace, not to mention the adhesive mess that was left everywhere. The 'tiler' we hired looked the part, talked the part and acted the part - until he started tiling. He even has his own website! I'm not stupid, but I'm not acquainted with any people in the trade and we are just punters needing a job done. It is really hard to find a good tiler if you don't know where to start. I thought this guy was genuine. I couldn't find any online reviews of his work, but there will be some now! If I can prevent him doing this to anybody else, then I'll be happy. Ironically, I think we may have found a good local tiler now as a result of this farce, which I guess is how a lot of people find one - when it's nearly too late. Good luck :)

A

arc

Sorry to read this thread - incredibly similar to the fiasco that took place in our house last weekend,

Eugh - just read your plight. Its painful isn't it!
You do what you can to pick a good 'un but I'm just becoming very untrusting of all tradespersons..... builders, mechanics, tilers, tree surgeons.
I know there are plenty of good ones out there but...

G

garybadger

Sorry to read this thread - incredibly similar to the fiasco that took place in our house last weekend, as reported and documented on this forum. I'd seen enough after 3 hours and sent him packing. Thankfully, we hadn't paid him, but we lost 60-70 floor tiles in the process which ended up in the tip and we will now have to replace, not to mention the adhesive mess that was left everywhere. The 'tiler' we hired looked the part, talked the part and acted the part - until he started tiling. He even has his own website! I'm not stupid, but I'm not acquainted with any people in the trade and we are just punters needing a job done. It is really hard to find a good tiler if you don't know where to start. I thought this guy was genuine. I couldn't find any online reviews of his work, but there will be some now! If I can prevent him doing this to anybody else, then I'll be happy. Ironically, I think we may have found a good local tiler now as a result of this farce, which I guess is how a lot of people find one - when it's nearly too late. Good luck :)

To be fair, I live up in scotland, and I get calls all the time from companies that are looking for a tiler in my area. I'll be the only one in their directory, so i can get all their work blah blah blah.
All are an utter con. When I started up for myself, being young and naive I sponsored a children's charity calendar and even that was a con. Supposed to be sent out to so many places of work, school's colleges etc. Doubt even 1 was sent out apart from my one.
Best form of recommendation if you don't know a good tiler is go to a tile shop, they will have heard about every tiler worth their salt, so could point you in the right direction.
Even some of the website's I've seen, some of the work on them is not their own work. They take random photo's from sites and add them to their own.

Some really interesting info there, Gary
particularly the bit about going to a local tile supplier for a recommendation, never thought of that. May be a good idea to have a sticky section on this forum for Joe Public looking for some starting points like that, like a basic checklist - ultimately, that can only result in the right person being hired for the job.
The guy that trashed my floor has pics of 'his work' on his website and I said to my missus last night there is NO way that the work on those images has come from the same hand, no way. He must have lifted them elsewhere.

M

Mike

Some really interesting info there, Gary
particularly the bit about going to a local tile supplier for a recommendation, never thought of that. May be a good idea to have a sticky section on this forum for Joe Public looking for some starting points like that, like a basic checklist - ultimately, that can only result in the right person being hired for the job.
The guy that trashed my floor has pics of 'his work' on his website and I said to my missus last night there is NO way that the work on those images has come from the same hand, no way. He must have lifted them elsewhere.
why not put a few pics of 'his work' on here, maybe one of the pro's on here may recognise the job :lol::lol:

A

arc

Re: Dot & Dabbed Porceliain tiles - job in progress

Afternoon, quite a few issues you have there. The PVA is a big no no, an acrylic primer should have been used.
Sorted!
Afternoon, quite a few issues you have there. You also really need to have an expansion joint where the two different substrates meet as ditra only helps with lateral movement, this can be done using a silicone to match your grout so that it is not noticeable.
Sorted!
Afternoon, quite a few issues you have there. Finally dot and dab is not a recommended method of fixing tiles, I'm being a bit polite, it is a totally unacceptable fixing method. If you do decide to take the tiles up there is quite a high chance that the SLC will come with it, possibly the ditra also.
Sorted!

Well the tiling is done now. Bought a few tools and put these tiles down over the course of a week. Took about five days straight to get all the mess up off the floor & ready to start again. Hired a clipper wet saw for £25 and it did a tidy job. Glad I didn't try to use the B&Q ProPlus cutter or whatever it was.
Mapei flexi adhesive & grout. Taped glued & screwed Hardi board over floorboards. All tiles 100% coverage & back buttered. Only problems were due to some tiles being not square (angles slightly off 90) and slightly varying sizes (plus/minus 2mm). But all in all I like the finished job.

Thanks for all the supportive comments (4 pages of replies) when I was having to pull it all up - but just a shame that when I asked for help in another thread I didn't get a single reply or word of support........ heyho.
tn_CIMG8574.JPG tn_CIMG8573.JPG tn_CIMG8580.JPG tn_CIMG8592.JPG tn_CIMG8599.JPG

Reply to Dot & Dabbed Porcelain tiles - job in progress in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Further to my other post re our hollow tiles issue It looks like our tiler has dot and dabbed...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am in the middle of renovating my bathroom. First of its kind for me! The walls were...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Dot & Dabbed Porcelain tiles - job in progress
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.