Discuss Dotgov in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

chris.tiling

TF
Arms
Poole
I have been approached by Dotgov supplies and services who say they handle contracts on behalf of local authorities and public sector organisations, emailing out any tiling tenders in my area to me, if I pay a fee of £99 plus VAT for a local subscription.
I am always sceptical about such schemes, but wondered if anyone on here is on their list and how has it worked for you? I am usually pretty busy on domestic stuff but am about to move about 20 miles away, so will need to re-forge my reputation as it were in a partially new area, so wondered if something like this may be of use.
Any thoughts?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Probably bollox

Can't say for sure but look into them heavily before you pay a single penny. Contact the authorities they say they handle contracts for to see if they are legit. If they are not, inform said authorities!!!

This happens daily on our plumbing forum and they screw them for thousands sometimes.

D

Deleted member 9966

it's a private company apparently. they find out about public sector work and then sell you the details or sell you into the contracts for work.

this is what i found on a who calls me website
I am the Managing Director of Public Sector E-Procurement Ltd we trade as Dotgov Supplies and Services, I have been made aware of the slanderous comments from the people above and would like to set the record straight!
Dotgov is a privately owned company who provide information about local government contracts to SME's we have been performing this service for several years and have many satisfied clients. Council procurement officers enter contracts into soft ware known as ProJecT this information is then processed via the EU. Dotgov receive this data under licence and then sort by area and trade to ensure our clients receive only contracts that are relevant to their trade sector. In addition we have a research team who search for small contracts that are below the threshold for the E.U.
Please, before branding a company a "scam" find out the facts first as these irresponsible comments can be very damaging for legitimate companies.
If any of the writers above would like to contact me or a member of my team please telephone 01323 649411
We are registered at companies house and have a fully checkable history please call and ask for details.

P

Protilers

Evening all.......lee from Protilers UK LTD here.....

I have contacts in the commercial sector that require top quality fixers to complete contracts (400-500m2 plus) all I require is a registration fee of £200 and I will add you onto a list of people willing to accecpt contracts....
as a show of faith I will offer you this in advance:

Lee,

Following our conversation today, the site address is 22 Micawber Street, Hackney, London, N1 7EQ.

There is approximately 400m² of floor tiling to be done. No wall tiling. The ceramic tiles are 600x300x21mm.

We are looking to place this package as soon as possible so could you please get back to me as soon as possible with your most competitive rate £/m²?

Kind regards,

Tim Holland | Graduate Quantity Surveyor

22 Micawber Street | Hackney | London | N1 7EQ

E. [email protected] | W. www.ardmoregroup.co.uk

I have literally thousands of these a year so FORWARD ME YOUR CREDIT CARD DETAILS!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Be careful lads.

We have "genuine businesses" touting for gas safety registered plumbers all day long and they take fees for sending them work that doesn't pay off.

Think of it like this, if the work is in your area, why is a firm outside your area in getting the leads?!

Check some threads on the plumbing forum about this sort of stuff.

Contact the authorities yourself and just go direct. They'd be more than happy to help locals moreso than those in suits out of the area.

P

Protilers

Any members of this forum that would like to recieve further opertunitys......please contact me directly, we can take credit card payments over the phone, or BACS Transfers....I can provide you with 20-50 opertunitys per month.......and you can cancel at anytime!.......Protilers rates as no 1 in the natural links in google,bing and yahoo for tilers in london, london tilers and tiling contractors in london!

thanks

Lee........cant wait to have a lie in!

P

Protilers

Be careful lads.

We have "genuine businesses" touting for gas safety registered plumbers all day long and they take fees for sending them work that doesn't pay off.

Think of it like this, if the work is in your area, why is a firm outside your area in getting the leads?!

Check some threads on the plumbing forum about this sort of stuff.

Contact the authorities yourself and just go direct. They'd be more than happy to help locals moreso than those in suits out of the area.

wwwwww....you just burst my (potential if I was a Fraudster bubble!)............

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
It's just a similar set up to Barbour abi or glennigans as far as I can see. Not a scam just a service you buy in order to take some of the leg work out of finding leads. None of these systems promise to give you work, just leads that you can chase yourself. Those leads presumably go to anyone and everyone in a given area who subscribes to the service. I've seen lots of such services pop up in the last few years as the recession has bitten and work has been harder and harder to find.

I guess in a way it's similar to what I do in my own job albeit we don't charge for leads. What I do is go out into the market place, find jobs and get them interested in or specified as GYPSOL screed then hand those leads out to my customers to chase

I suspect that now building is on the up and contractors will become busier some of these services will no longer be viable as folks will not need the help to find the work. Government contracts are a law unto themselves though so if you want to do that sort of work you will probably have to use a service like this to get the contacts you need.

chris.tiling

TF
Arms
Poole
Cheers guys.
I must admit when I was speaking to them on the phone, I assumed it was a tie in on .gov and not a company called dotgov...so this was the first warning (shouldn't assUme!).
I am gonna leave well alone (you go for it tho Geoff - then subbie me in!) as I don't trust the middle man lead generators. They may well be genuine, but there is no guarantee I will get my money back.
Cheers one and all for your input :thumbsup:

"Protilers rates as no 1 in the natural links in google,bing and yahoo for tilers in london, london tilers and tiling contractors in london!"

Hi Lee

Out of interest who does your website seo work to get you up that high on google? Is it constant work or just bi-monthly couple of hours done by yourself? We are looking to get our site further up the rankings but everyone I speak to gives phone number quotes for the work needed and no guarantees. PM me if you'd rather not discuss in open

Cheers

Kev

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
There's never a guarantee and if a firm guarantees you number one position they're probably talking out of their arse. Search engines control who ranks where using algorithms. Not seo firms.

That said you can find a skilled guy who understands the algorithms and can rank you highly but it's an ongoing battle if you want number one position forever.

And I wouldn't pay a penny to rank number one in bing or yahoo. Google gets more than 95% of all search traffic in the UK.

Adwords can be a good short term thing but you don't want to do it forever.

There's never a guarantee and if a firm guarantees you number one position they're probably talking out of their arse. Search engines control who ranks where using algorithms. Not seo firms.

That said you can find a skilled guy who understands the algorithms and can rank you highly but it's an ongoing battle if you want number one position forever.

And I wouldn't pay a penny to rank number one in bing or yahoo. Google gets more than 95% of all search traffic in the UK.

Adwords can be a good short term thing but you don't want to do it forever.

Hi Dan
Yeah I know theres no promises of number 1 spot but even keeping on the first page would be good. I realise its an on-going thing and you have to accept everyone wants to be no 1 and wants to knock you off the top. My problem is to stay on the first page is costing a fair amount of money. I can honestly say I'm not sure if pound for pound I get get a good enough return for the investment. Tried adwords. Found it a total con that needed constant tweeking.

For you guys who do the seo yourself and know what the score is, a question. Whats the best things I can do myself to help with rankings? Is it a blog? Constant/monthly re-writing of information on the site to appear fresh to the google spiders? More and more pics?
The guy I use at the mo keeps going on about quality links and sub-text/hidden text...things I can't do. It seems to be working but I can't believe everyone is going through this seo bo##ock ache!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You don't need to keep rewriting anything really. If you have a testimonials page and a picture gallery of some sort, that'll update the header code to let Google spiders know you've updated your site. New links to it also make google realise the content is still current. So links are a biggy and always have been and always will be.

Unique content is key. Just make sure you've written a lot about what you do, and the area's you do those in need to be written a fair bit too. You need to tell Google what you want to rank for by pointing it out obviously on pages using page titles well and the page meta description (the hidden bit your guy is probably talking about.

What you build the site in usually helps too. I generally recommend Wordpress to people as you can update that easily once it is ranking without screwing up the main settings. And you can edit the pages, add / change pages, and not screw up the navigation etc.

But you should be able to take over it from your guy and not be tied into ongoing costs once it's ranking well. You just then need to continue adding testimonials or blogs or something once a month or so. And lots of lovely pictures. That's for your site visitors moreso but it'll help a little with SEO.

Adwords is cool. You want to use negative filters though. So "Tilers in London" will be competitive. Avoid that. And avoid "Tilers" and "London" on their own. You'd want to use more specific local locations and you'd find the bidding isn't so competitive so you'll get your clicks for a cheaper price. Then any clicks that are costing a lot that you find you're paying for, use the negative filter to cancel just those ones. After a week of toying around you'll find you're paying pence for each click, and a % of those should get you calls, and a % of those will turn into quotes, and a % of those jobs. So it's working out really what has been worth it click-wise and what's a waste of time. But that's not Google's fault really. It's just testing and toying for a bit yourself to clock it.

Keeping up with the website just seems like such an involved thing. Its almost a full time job if you use adwords aswell. I'm running out of time to tile!!!

I do add more and more pics but the blog needs more updates. I'm in wordpress for the main site and the e-commerce bolt on bit is in Jshop. Both seem fairly easy to use. I'm not sure it'll ever be at the point of me taking over the running of it tho. 18 months in to the campaign so far and still seems like loads to do and although we have quite a few search terms going on, very few seem to be doing the business.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Dotgov in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All. I've been a self employed tiler now for about3 years and all is going well,love the work...
Replies
Views
P
Hi all Got a concrete floor to tile just wondering if somebody could help me out with the prep...
Replies
Views
T
So.... Signed up to the forum, looked at loads of threads (found the one about poor workmanship...
Replies
Views
S
Hi I am after some advice on the following, I have been to look at a job which had problems in...
Replies
Views
shick
S
T
ok so i have started this thread because of a conversation between me and dan in another thread...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB