Discuss DPM and Underfloor heating in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

Komri

Hi,

I'm refitting the kitchen in our 1930s house. I've taken up the old ceramic floor tiles and found some 15mm thick red (quarry) small tiles undernear, which I've taken up also. These red tiles go under the internal and external walls I think (atleat under the plaster). Underneath is a concrete floor and a small section of wooden floorboards.

I planned to put down self leveling compound, then the adhesive for the insullation boards, followed by the warmup underfloor heating, another layer of leveling compound, then adhesive and tiles.

I'm unsure if the red tiles were forming a damp proof membrane, there wasn't a black bitchaman layer, but a thin yellow rubbery layer ontop of the red tiles. I've been reading and have learnt that ideally I should measure the humidity in the floor, but I don't have the meter. Where can I hire this, or find someone to measure it for me in Birmingham (paying for their time obviously)?

I had considdered putting down an epoxy DPM, like stopgap 75, to be on the safe side, but I can't find anywhere to buy it, the primer 131 and f Ball's leveling compound. Any suggestions?

I really need to get on with the kitchen installation, but don't want to assume the floor will be ok without a DPM. There were no problems before, but no underfloor heating which I gather draws moisture up and could introduce a problem.

Any help/advise would be much apprechiated.

Simon

K

Komri

Wow, that was a fast reply, thanks.

The floorboard area is 1.1m by 1.2m, the floor area of the room is 10m2. The wooden floor is higher than the concrete by about 15mm, I intend to level this off roughly by using 6mm insulation over the wood and 20mm over the concrete, then the self levelling compound to get it exact. The plywood is still to go down over the floorboards. Kitchen floor.jpg

I

Ian

In ordinary circumstances an expansion joint would be put in where two different substrates meet like this, but that would look very odd in this situation. The thing is if a grout joint falls on the join or a tile is over the join it is highly likely a crack will appear. One option is to remember where the join is when you come to tile and use a silicone joint instead of grout in this area, mapei do a range of silicones that match their grout colours so it wouldn't be noticeable. In responce to your original post, stopgap 75 is a brilliant product and f ball have a new levelling compound called stopgap 700 superflex which is fantastic and also suitable for UFH. Just make sure you use the 131 primer neat over the DPM before you put the UFH and levelling compound down.

K

Komri

Thanks for the advice Brian. The original floor had tiles over this wood/concrete junction which had been down for 20 years and hadn't cracked, hopefully I can get the same result.

Where can I buy the F Ball products from? I've search online and my usual suppliers and I can't find it anywhere, the local sellers which are on F Ball's website are either closed for Christmas, or have stopped selling it. Do you know of a supplier who will sell to the public?

I

Ian

When I get the ball products from Jewsons it is special order as they don't keep it in stock but, its only a couple of working days to get it. I have nothing bad to say about the topps adhesive, I use BAL mainly, only because I'm used to it and the 25 year guarantee gives me added confidence to guarantee my own work. If you can get a grout joint to fall over said area thats great, but don't set the room out around this if it will compromise how the rest of the floor will look ie, small cuts elsewhere.

I

Ian

f75 is not suited to under floor heating to the best of my knowledge. Have read this on the literature in the past so I would give them a call first just to be sure.

I've just read the data for f75 and f76 and neither can be used for UFH. So thats another thing I've learnt! Good spot tfs. There is no info that I can find on whether insulation boards can be put down then the mat, so a call to find out will be necessary.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
F75 I think is a paint on epoxy DPM. When you are using paint on DPM's they should not be used as a means to trap moisture in the heated substrate. That is not as far as I can see what you are doing. You are trapping the moisture in the ultimate substrate and then uncoupling everything else with insulation boards so the use of F75 as a DPM is perfectly acceptable from a technical stand point. If you are worried about the DPM manufacturer removing any warranty try Tremco Universal One Coat which IS suitable for use with Underfloor heating.

Reply to DPM and Underfloor heating in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
DPM and Underfloor heating
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.