Discuss Drain access covers for floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

S

Steve698

Hi,
I'm about to lay ceramic floor tiles in our conservatory. The floor is a wooden sub-floor which I have braced and made solid. I intend to lay a concrete backer board on top of this before the tiles. The problem is the floor has 2 drains under it which will need access, I don't want a big galvanized cover sticking out like a sore thumb so want to inset a recessed cover and infill with tiles. Only cover I can find is a 300x300x46 which really I think is still too deep, looking for something that I can install onto existing wood floor and infill the recess with backer board and ceramic tile, about 25/30mm. Is there an inspection cover this shallow or is there another way to have access to these pesky drains that won't mess with the look of the floor.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
It sounds like you might have to make your own with backerboard. The attached pictures are of a manhole cover, but my customer did not want it to look like a manhole cover. Access is gained by knocking in the two bits of tile that I have covering the key holes. They are just held in place by 2 springs made with cardboard! I went around the outer edge with ivory silicone. You would never know that the manhole cover was there. All you would have to do is tile around your existing covers and make a removable cover with backerboard and tiles. Good luck. Sean
P1010468.jpg P1010470.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Drain access covers for floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB