Discuss Driving a Spanish car in the UK in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Hi all, I would like to pick the forum brain, I've just driven my Dad's Spanish registered and plated car back from Spain, it's right hand drive, speedo is in mph, since then I've read conflicting stories on whether it is legal for me to drive it, the car is fully Spanish legal with their mot equivalent (itv) being up to date, over there it's the car and not the person that is insured.

So, the question, has anyone else, does anyone else drive a non UK registered car in the UK, anyone shed any light ? I've rang the police, they told me to use the WWW :yikes: I've rang DVLA they said ring my insurance, I have, they just said that I wasn't covered on my insurance, very confusing.

Thanks for any help.

You will have to get the headlights re-aligned Alan for driving on LHS of road. They will be setup for driving on RHS and will cause glare to oncoming drivers with present setup.

I have just been looking at them from Halfords, will get some today, so you think / know, that once that is done the car will be legal for me to drive ? Any experience of this ?

I am surprised the police did not offer you advise...

This will help you >>> Visitors to the UK

So was I, more than surprised, shocked at being told to look on the net, anyway, a lot of good reading there Dave, thanks, still can't find the answer of insurance though :(

I will get the car re-registered as well as soon as I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you keeping the car here or just visiting with it..?

They are going to be staying I think, it's not a definite though, so until then the car is staying on Spanish plates, we'll know soon ( a month or so ) so plenty of time to re-register the car.

This is the grey area that I can't get an answer to, in Spain it's the car that's insured not the driver, anyone over 25 can drive the car as long as they have a full licence etc, the car has a 'green card' meaning it can be driven in most EU countries, the UK is ok, so, am I insured or not, no-one can answer this question..................yet.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Driving a Spanish car in the UK in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Last Sunday my Nissan X-Trail started to stall whilst parked. Monday morning on the way to...
Replies
Views
Evening guys and girls. Im selling my car. I've used it a bit to cart some tools around. But...
Replies
Views
D
Ok, so i've been looking into creating a website, as we all know, how important our presence...
Replies
Views
Spare Tool
S
D
And disappointed A few months ago i reversed out of my drive in to the turning circle at the...
Replies
Views
M
Hi everyone. im going to cut a very long story short to save your sanity. Im 36 have been...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB