Discuss Dry cutting porcelain tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Fraser Tiling

TF
Esteemed
High Wycombe
I'm fixing about 90 metres of 10mm 800x800 porcelain tiles at the moment, using a Rubi Tx 1200 cutter.
As per usual with large format porcelain, getting clean consistent cuts is very hit and miss.
Decided to change my normal 22mm wheel for a bearinged version to see if that made any difference.
As expected, little changed.
Generally, as a rule I have ever only scored once, some tiles responding better to a light score, others with a heavier score.
Having no decent results with either, i tried scoring 4-5 times with heavy pressure and seem to get much better results.
Just wondering if anyone else is doing the same?

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

the problem with cutting large format on your knees on the floor is even balance and stress point load stutter for a mirco second and you point load your tile break and it shards off at the point of extra load over stretch and you point load .you need to cut your tile in one even scribe . put your cutter on a bench at waist height and move with the scribe its hard to do on your knees behind the tile but easy when you are level with your tile and can can move with the scribe

O

One Day

the problem with cutting large format on your knees on the floor is even balance and stress point load stutter for a mirco second and you point load your tile break and it shards off at the point of extra load over stretch and you point load .you need to cut your tile in one even scribe . put your cutter on a bench at waist height and move with the scribe its hard to do on your knees behind the tile but easy when you are level with your tile and can can move with the scribe

Absolutely. When we're cutting anything over 600mm it's time to invest in a decent bench.
I use 1 or 2 keter work tables at the moment.

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Widnes
Screenshot_2016-08-21-12-25-19.png

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Widnes

Reply to Dry cutting porcelain tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Looking to lay large format (900x900mm) thin (5.5mm) porcelain floor tiles onto a sand and...
Replies
Views
I’m tiling a ground floor of a house approx 120m through a ground floor with 5 doorways in the...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
I am planning to tile bathroom with large porcelain tiles 1200x600 over water-resistant backer...
Replies
Views
Im going to be tiling my shower room walls and floor with some large format tiles as per the...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB