Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Electric V Heated Water in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Daz

water would work out cheaper as the heat can be obtained from solar panels or ground/air source heat pumps, so after the initial outlay they could be 'free' to run. the water pipes are really only an option on new builds tho due to them being laid in the concrete/screed.

Here's some food for thought....

Polypipe Building Products | Overlay - Underfloor Heating that fits over existing floors | Polypipe - Water Management, Underground Drainage, Flexible Plumbing Systems, Underfloor Heating

I've got to go out now but will join in again later.

Daz

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Taking into account many factors, this is what I always advised customers when it came to underfloor heating and the choice between the two main options.

Electric is perfect for existing installations, the cost of installing water is far higher in existing buildings. Unless it's a major refurbishment that is.

Though water underfloor heating systems are more expensive to install, they're always cheaper to run in the long-term. Especially if you use a ground heat source or solar/wind powered system somehow.

I used to recommend Underfloor Heating UK - Underfloor Heating Installers, Suppliers & Servicing for water systems. A very established and reputable company. And I used to sell uHeat myself for electrical systems.

So note that for future reference and you'll always look smart and well informed whilst not getting in too deep with perhaps a water system that you're not used to dealing with. Though tiling on a screed containing a water system can be quite pleasant in comparison to installing UFH, insulation, and then tiling over all of that on electric unless you've done that a couple of times already and you're confident and quick doing so.

M

Mike

Taking into account many factors, this is what I always advised customers when it came to underfloor heating and the choice between the two main options.
Electric is perfect for existing installations, the cost of installing water is far higher in existing buildings. Unless it's a major refurbishment that is.
Though water underfloor heating systems are more expensive to install, they're always cheaper to run in the long-term. Especially if you use a ground heat source or solar/wind powered system somehow.
I used to recommend Underfloor Heating UK - Underfloor Heating Installers, Suppliers & Servicing for water systems. A very established and reputable company. And I used to sell uHeat myself for electrical systems.
So note that for future reference and you'll always look smart and well informed whilst not getting in too deep with perhaps a water system that you're not used to dealing with. Though tiling on a screed containing a water system can be quite pleasant in comparison to installing UFH, insulation, and then tiling over all of that on electric unless you've done that a couple of times already and you're confident and quick doing so.
another company you could consider is treadwarm.co.uk my mate is a director there and theyre really busy which i guess is a good sign. they're based in chester but have work all over the uk

J

jimmycooker

Hi Lads

Been looking at this forum all day, there's so much info on wetrooms here, it's a full time job trying to get through it...great resource though!

I was looking at installing a devimat over a tilesafe tanking kit / impey shower former and stumbled across these low profile water based systems:

Can you tell me how you would tank a water based, low profile under floor heating system ?? Would you install them over the tanking or under?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Warm water systems are generally cheaper to install and run than electric. They are also more flexible in terms of the primary heat source e.g. heat pump, boiler, etc etc. To mske them most efficient you need a good heat diffuser such as a screed. Metaldiffuser plates are being used more in Europe now but these are not really easily available in the UK. The screed bit is obviously my speciality so if you need any details on the technical aspects of that bit PM me by all means. There are loads of systems available and it depends on what you need and what space you have available as to what the best systems are.

J

jimmycooker

Thanks for the quick reply Ajax,

The existing ensuite floor is 18mm ply, i intend to cut out a hole and install an impey (or similar preformed tray on the joists.

From what i've learned here i'd use backboard of some sort to bring the level of the plywood floor upto the shower tray height.

What water UFH system would you use in this situation, how would you layer it up and how would you tank it? Using the tilesafe system, or other...

Reply to Electric V Heated Water in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Hope you are all having a fantastic Xmas. To cut a long story short I have installed...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Electric V Heated Water
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.