UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Enhancing Slate in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Q

QED

Hi Guys,

I'm just finishing off some natural multi-coloured slate floor tiles (300x600).

They've been cleaned, sealed, and are currently being grouted using an Anthracite coloured grout.

I've cleaned the tiles well, it could be my imagination, but the glorious colours and striation which the tiles had prior to grouting seems to have been lost.

I had a good tiler friend a while ago, I was doing some labouring for him at the time, we were working on a black slate floor. I seem to remember him saying at the time that you can get a type of oil or some conditioner substance which can give slate a nice lustrous sheen.

(there's a part of me that wonders how this works with the sealant, as surely any liquid would just bobble on the top of the tile?)

Does anyone know of such a product, can anyone recommend trade names?

Cheers

Q

QED

Hi stranger..

If you wet the tile , does the colour come back..?

No it doesn't, wouldn't that only happen if it wasn't sealed though?

Have you cleaned it down with Grimex? This should clean any oils and dirt off of the slate before sealing, these will make the slate look dull. Which sealer did you use?

I've cleaned it down with LTP before sealing, and after grouting. I can't remember which sealer it was, but I'm not sure it's relevant (if it is do let me know) because the lustrous sheen I'm wanting to recreate is the one after I sealed, so I don't think the sealer has compromised the look, if anything it's enhanced it.

If you wanted the bright colours a colour enhancing sealer would have worked wonders. However it does sound like the slate might have a grout haze on it. Have you tried giving it a good clean?

As mention above it's had a dam good clean with LTP, if you lick your finger and run it over the tile there's no dust or patina left

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the responses so far, but getting back to my question - has anyone heard of a product such as an oil or conditioning agent which can be applied to slate?

Thanks again

Q

QED

Hi, there is stain stop for marble, lime stone, granit which you don't use on slate. And there is slate seal or slate oil only for slate :)

Ahh that's interesting - having a quick Google there seems to be a lot of products which appear to be oils which seal - presumably as I've already sealed this won't be much good to me or will it?

Are these oils the type of product which you can use on top of a seal?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Enhancing Slate in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Has anyone seen this before? It's not grout between these tiles, looks like tile adhesive or...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello I have tiled my floor with slate tiles. Due to some scheduling issues prior to sealing...
Replies
Views
I have been researching this for days and need some help. My garage has a concrete floor. I live...
Replies
Views
D
Hi UK tilers! I'm an ex-pat Brit builder looking for some advice on the best high gloss coating...
Replies
Views
Darrell Churchill
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.