UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Epmdesigns in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Time's Ran Out

:welcome: and hello - good question and I haven't the answer, But I'am pretty sure the Romans didn't grind the stone when it was laid, they prepared it first.
There are restoration companies who still go through the diamond grinding process to rectify worn or badly fixed floors and I went on a short course just last year through this forum - and found it very interesting.
However some of the product which is being imported now may need more attention and indeed your services in the near future.
Stay involved in the Best Tilers Forum and ENJOY.

G

Gazzer

:welcome: and hello - good question and I haven't the answer, But I'am pretty sure the Romans didn't grind the stone when it was laid, they prepared it first.
There are restoration companies who still go through the diamond grinding process to rectify worn or badly fixed floors and I went on a short course just last year through this forum - and found it very interesting.
However some of the product which is being imported now may need more attention and indeed your services in the near future.
Stay involved in the Best Tilers Forum and ENJOY.

I think a while ago in a similar thread, It was said that the floor was laid and then slaves were used with hand stones to give the floor a final finish .

S

Spud

I am a stone fitter and have under taken courses all over the world from adhesives, sealants, polishing, tanking, floor grinding (honeing) and floor restoration. Can any one tell me why in the uk stone floors are not ground down like in the rest off the world in the uk it is no different to ciramic tiling and the stone will only last a few years before it needs ristoreing again
some stone floors are ground and polished but its mainly down to cost grinding and polishing adds to the finished cost of the install as you say the floors will be eventually polished as part of the upkeep of the floor

O

onion

I was being sarcastic the reason floors are not ground down in the uk is because there is little knowledge about stone fitting because anyone with a wet cuter from b&q can call them selves a stone fitter. The reason for stone grinding to be done is simple stone scratches and stains are unavoidable. How can you remove these scratches without it being noticed on a British floor impossible. With a ground floor it takes 8 steps to remove lips and bring back to a gloss leaving the floor perfectly flat giving the floor a monolithic appearance. Now to remove scratches and stains on a floor like this only takes 2-3 steps and with the correct machinery a 50m floor would only take 2 hours leaving the floor brand new

M

Mike Mike

I was being sarcastic the reason floors are not ground down in the uk is because there is little knowledge about stone fitting because anyone with a wet cuter from b&q can call them selves a stone fitter. The reason for stone grinding to be done is simple stone scratches and stains are unavoidable. How can you remove these scratches without it being noticed on a British floor impossible. With a ground floor it takes 8 steps to remove lips and bring back to a gloss leaving the floor perfectly flat giving the floor a monolithic appearance. Now to remove scratches and stains on a floor like this only takes 2-3 steps and with the correct machinery a 50m floor would only take 2 hours leaving the floor brand new

I think the root cause of this problem is a question of supply and demand. As Adam Smith wrote 300 years ago, "supply creates it's own demand". Tile shops importing cheap Indian and Chinese stone and selling it from £15/m2 creates a demand. A demand among customers who have no business buying natural stone tiles. By that I mean they (the customers) are too cheap to be in this market. In the (good) old days, the only customers of stone were affluent enough to be able to pay for quality and arrogant enough to demand it. Now, it feels to me, every Tom, Dick and Harry, wants a magazine look for their 3m2 bathroom, with an all in price of under £250.

You sell stone for peanuts, you attract apes, who then demand that monkeys come and install it for bananas... :lol:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Epmdesigns in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
O
    • Winner
    • Informative
So as a couple of you may be aware, @Simon Dale his daughter Katrina, and myself are on a...
Replies
Views
L
O
    • Winner
So after spending the day with Derek @Sigma UK Using the full Kera Lift system, I decided sooner...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
  • Question
Okay so I'm going to start the ball rolling. I'd like the forum to be handy for all, including...
Replies
Views
  • Article
If you've been on any of the Goldtrowel Tiling Courses then please leave feedback and reviews in...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.