UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Exterior Tiles - Adhesive / Grout advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

willmington

Hi guys, wonder if someone can give me some advice please.

I have an exterior balcony which is tiled (10'x14'). The tiles have been laid over asphalt (could be mastic asphalt). Some of the tiles have have become loose and many others need regrouting. I think that the tiles are ceramic (Stragres - 20cmsx20cms) and I that believe that they are referred to as Promenade tiles (they also have ceramicne / Atlas Concorde written on the back).

There is no need to pull all the tiles up and redo. Some localized repair is all that is required.

Have 3 questions.

1. Is it safe to assume that the tiles are ceramic.

2. I need some adhesive and was reading that Mapei Keraquick might be suitable in this instance. Looked at the product but it does not mention that it is suitable for asphalt. Is the one linked below suitable. I really only need a 5kg bag.

Mapei Keraquick Grey 5kg - NoLinksToThis, Where the Trade Buys

There is a Tile Giant not too far away from me but their website only show 20kgs bags of Mapei adhesive

3. Can anyone please suggest any suitable grout. Does Mapei do some?

Many thanks for any info provided

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
W

willmington

Many thanks for your reply Dave [edit] & garythetiler.

Dave said:
What is asphalt poured onto..?
The blurb below is taken from the plans to the house (which was build in mid 90s) it says:

'19mm mastic asphalt on 12mm ext ply on battens laid to fall'. I believe that this is also a suspended floor.

Dave said:
The changes in temp can have drastic effects on the way the substrate reacts and can cause the tiles to de-bond.

An ideal fix is an uncoupling membrane...
I googled uncoupling membrane and stumbled on your informative post which explains it all and I can see the wisdom of what your are saying.

http://www.tilersforums.com/tiling-forum/2715-uncoupling-membrane-explained.html

However, in principle and bearing in mind your comments any other reason that the Mapei Keraquick will not work if only for a few years eg the adhesive in the Mapei could cause some form of reaction with the mastic asphalt, if you see what I mean. Sorry about the silly question.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

As above re: substate not suitable for tiling directly onto. Also ceramic tiles are not frost resistant, they should be porcelain/ fully vitrified I have used a decoupling membrane in the past, with some success. But if it is a temporary quick fix, then yes Keraquick will do, I would suggest you add latex plus also by Mapei. I must stress this will only be temporary fix. Sorry.:thumbsup:

T

talb

I have a similar problem to willmington. My tiled balcony has been in place for 25 years. The tiles (I think are ceramic) are lifting in places from the cement base which in turn is laid on asphalt on 3 layers of felt on top of 3/4" ply. I have approached a number of local contractors, none of whom seem to be interested in doing the job. There is no problem with leakage and I am considering undertaking a temporary repair of my own by running a thin grout into the defective joints (some are still sound and cannot be easily raked out although there is a thin crack on one side where the tile has parted from the grout).
I would appreciate your opinion on whether this is a worthwhile excercise or whether I woud be wasting my time. Also which product you would recommend.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Exterior Tiles - Adhesive / Grout advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a very small area (1m.sq) on an exterior doorway entrance wall to tile. I would...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.