• Thread starter PaulBr
  • Start date
  • Replies 0
  • Views 58

Discuss External manhole odour Discussion Thread in the Plumbing Advice area at TilersForums.com.

External manhole odour Discussion Thread

I have a square cast iron manhole cover in my garden that does not block the smell of toilets. It measures 655 x655 millimetres with a gap of between 5 and 6 millimetres all around between base and cover. The waterboard claim there is nothing they can do!! Is there anything I can use to make it airtight but also to be able to open it for inspection or repair? Apparently, the manufacturer of EVERBUILD THERMOFOAM AIRTIGHT ACOUSTIC EXPANDING FOAM EVTHERM7 that I originally enquired said that these foams are not suitable as they are not even waterproof. They said that probably I should be looking at closed cell foams. I wonder whether a foam of some sort blocking the surrounding gap might be better than a sheet of closed cell foam on which a heavy cast iron cover would be sitting? If a foam is suitable, will it be permanent, or will it allow access for inspection or repair with the possibility of reapplying the sealant? I read in earlier replies that silicone grease might be suitable but given that it is exposed to the sun almost the whole day, the silicone grease might last only for a few days?
Your help will be appreciated

External manhole odour for the original thread on Plumbers Forums

Reply to External manhole odour Discussion Thread in the Plumbing Advice area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
External manhole odour Discussion Thread
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Plumbing Advice
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
None

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond