UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Failed Adhesive? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DTHulse

Hi all, first post is a real problem. Concrete floor primed OK, self levelling compound used, heating wires laid and covered with more of same self levelling compound, left to dry for 4 days and then quartz tiles laid with flexible adhesive / cement. Used top quality products all suitable for undefloor heating and yet the tiles are lifting with all the cement stuck to the tile and almost none to levelling compound below it. Room was dry and no dust and followed instructions so anyone any ideas as to what has gone wrong? Did I miss something? Anyone know anyone who can do technical investigations to find out what happened?

D

DTHulse

Gulfstone state that the adhesive used to fix their stone should be 2 part latex based though I dont know if your use of water in the mix caused this problem. Maybe the slc covering was dusty when you fixed the tiles, maybe the ufh was switched on too soon and too high initially.

Hi, thanks for those ideas but the floor was cleaned before applying adhesive and that was spread thinly on the floor with serated blade to "bind" it to the levelled floor and also then on the tile. Makers of Ultra say only 2/3 days and you can use the ufh as normal and we waited longer than than. Something though has caused the adhesive not to bond to the levelled suface or for that bond to break very cleanly with no adhesive on the floor but all on the tile. Does anyone know who can investigate this type of failure? As mentioned, primer was not used on the levelled floor before fixing the tiles? Should that have been used?

D

DTHulse

Dusty sub straight ,Adhesive mix wrong, Adhesive skinned, Heating on, or used, did you apply the Adhesive to the tile and then the tile to the floor,or did you comb the floor with adhesive then set the tile, did you back skim the tile you were fixing?

Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies and to catch up on the last few - floor cleaned section by section as tiles laid; combed adhesive to the floor tile by tile and also combed adhesive on the tile (all Ultra recommended thicknesses); heating not even connected until over a week after tiles had been laid: pictures would only show the levelled floor with no adhesive and all adhesive on the back of the tile;

Have asked Instarmac (makers of Ultra) for tech help and sent then tile section for them to look at the cement that is affixed to it and check the mixe, thickness etc.; their initial reaction is that primer should have been applied to the levelled floor and that's the problem.

Any more ideas?

D

DTHulse

what levelling compound and was the heating turned on slowly increased day by day

Hi, the levelling compound was Granfix Solo18 (as recommended for ufh) and left 4 days to dry before fixing tiles. Cleaned section by section as tiles laid as decribed earlier post. Heating not even connected for week after tiles laid and checked with Instarmac (makers of Ultra SP adhesive) who said OK to use normally. As was summer time, only used very low for short period in morning but tiles started to lift some weeks later.

Reply to Failed Adhesive? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi I asked the Wunda technical department if I can just use a Ditra mat only and not the SLC...
Replies
Views
Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.