Discuss FAO - Tilers and Tile Merchants (Tile imperfections??) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

saf

Greetings All,

Iv bought some marble tiles from a local tile merchant who is one of the leading tile merchants in Lancashire.

Now going through the tiles from the wooden crates iv noticed quite a few are chipped on the edges and some havnt been fiilled properly and others have too much fill etc. iv paid 27 pounds per sqm as a job lot.

the salesman from the store said im supposed to use them as cuts? but surely the cuts i use should be dependant on me and which tile i decide to use and not dictated by them by giving me chipped tiles? or am i understanding it wrong?

am i right to expect some chipped tiles or should i demand they exchange them?

Last edited by a moderator:
S

saf

Hi all,

It seems like it was an end of line item, there was about 320 tiles in the pallet of which I had 220 ish. It was also a sealed crate too.

The problem is that from the first 120 I have to return 20 tiles as they either had chips, or were not filled or too much fill was applied so that it looked like small paint patches.

It's a total of 29sqm.

Do I have any rights over this sort of problem?

I'm not really bothered if he has to collect the lot.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Sounds like you've bought a job lot (so sold as seen, end of line stock, there have no more probably to replace yours with, that's why they are cheap!) and thought you'd be getting perfect current stock?

Don't buy an end of line job lot if you want all the tiles to be perfect. You'd have to by a current range with plenty of stock to keep swapping tiles until you get what you need. Natural tiles can be a pain in the bum for this but end of line natural tiles will be all the poorer tiles.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
Hi all,

It seems like it was an end of line item, there was about 320 tiles in the pallet of which I had 220 ish. It was also a sealed crate too.

The problem is that from the first 120 I have to return 20 tiles as they either had chips, or were not filled or too much fill was applied so that it looked like small paint patches.

It's a total of 29sqm.

Do I have any rights over this sort of problem?

I'm not really bothered if he has to collect the lot.

ok you bought a job lot reduced in price,use the chipped ones for cuts problem solved

if you want every tile perfect thats fine but dont buy end of line deals

T

tfs

the filling is common with lower quality tiles. I have seen many tiles sold like this and although there is no general rule as to what tiles should be used for cuts it is good practice to use any vulnerable tiles for areas with little traffic or for cuts if possible.

Try and get the tiles you are unhappy with exchanged, hopefully the shop will be happy to do this for you.

Im afraid it is realy a case of you get what you pay for. I know £27 sqm is expensive but you get different grades of stone and what you have explained is associated with lower grade stone.

Unless the tile merchant told you they were 'top grade' then I would be wrong to say that they are to blame.

S

saf

Firstly thanks to all the people who have provided some information.

I think the general consensus is that irrespective of whether they were end of line or not the standard should be of a tile thats £27 per sqm. Fill will be expected but tiles with no fill and chipped edges shouldnt be accepted as the norm. (The tile as a whole should be sound).

The tiles on display seem perfect so it seems as though the good uns were displayed and the poorer tiles were in the crate, and generally as you guys say end of line is all the crappy stuff left over.

I went back to the store today and told them i wasnt happy, (there was another issue i failed to mention which was the tiles from the crate were not resembleing the tiles from the display. They were VERY different). They advised me that i have to expect variation as its marble tiles and natural stone etc etc.... but i showed him a tile which was on display that has predominantly shades of medium and darker browns but the one from the crate was predominantly ivory with 2/3 covered in black dots. So they responded with a comment 'it came out from the same pallet.'

Lesson learned for me, never buy end of line unless you plan on inspecting all the tiles.

P.S the store said they would take them back as in truth they didnt really have a leg to stand on. They really looked very poor in grade and also didnt match what was displayed. The display tiles were definitely not a lower grade.

T

Time's Ran Out

I think you will be happier if you give them the tiles back and get a full refund.
Tiles on display should be as near as possible to those supplied - even if a natural product - or the displays should be changed to represent the new stock.
However as a 'JOB lot/end of pallet' deal you should have checked the batch prior to payment to confirm acceptance of the product.
I also think that @ the price you paid (if it was marble) you are below 50% of the normal price.

S

saf

Im not sure about 50% because I found m2direct/travertine direct selling cappucino tiles are nearly half the price of topps tiles for an identical product. They actually advertise it as that on their site and compare their price with topps in bold.

http://www.travertinedirect.co.uk/products/Cappuccino-Polished-Marble-%2d-Price-per-m2.html

Thanks again for the info guys. I'll be sure to inspect the tiles before handing over the money.

They did tell me if I go for cappuccino marble then they will guarantee that there will be little colour variation and definitely no black dots on any of the tiles. I think it's either that or porcelain for me.

I'm a newbie, first house, first bathroom so im really appreciating the help and advice this forum offers. Thanks all.

T

tfs

Buying online may be an issue too! Mainly due to not being able to view the tiles first. It is hit and a miss with buying stone online. Be sure to get it in writing that the tiles are of good quality and get a copy of the returns policy to cover yourself.

I would personally rather buy stone that I have visualy inspected. With 29sq you would be in a good position to haggle a bit of discount from most tile merchants.

Hope you get a good deal:thumbsup:

Reply to FAO - Tilers and Tile Merchants (Tile imperfections??) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi there, Thanks for my successful registration within this group and Forum. I am currently...
Replies
Views
DiyRob
D
Does anyone know how I can get hold of some discontinued Seramiksan Teos Black 33 x 33 tiles. I...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
I’m tiling a ground floor of a house approx 120m through a ground floor with 5 doorways in the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
FAO - Tilers and Tile Merchants (Tile imperfections??)
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.