Discuss fast track course for electrics in bathrooms etc in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hey all,i do spotlights in a lot of bathrooms we do and have watched the sparks doing it...seems quite simple if i knew how to properly,is there a fast track course that gives me a qualification to deal with thiings like spots etc on my installations? maybe a 10 or 15 day course does anyone know what the regs are?

just subbies out 45 spots on one job and was annoyed at the money the sparks wanted for doing the job which in the end took 7 hours,one wanted 1200 labour :yikes::thumbsdown:so im looking to do it myself any help appreciated

S

Scott

There are other ways too, NIC also do courses.
NICEIC | Contractor | Schemes | What is the DIS Scheme?

I had heard that they were doing away with a lot og the legislation to do with part P but dont know if there is any truth in it.

Kilty I cut the lamps and fan in, fit the isolator etc and run cables then just get sparks to 2nd fix. They dont like it but hey its all work

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Slowly Learning

I am Elecsa Part P registered and although it great to be able to do any wiring on a bathroom refit the headaches it can cause you meeting regs etc are head melting. Trying to explain that they now need an RCD for the new shower or spot lights and this will cost x amount or this need to be sorted as it doesnt comply to regs you can see there eyes rolling back! Also cost of must have testing meter is over £500 minimum and to join NIC etc is £300 odd a year, wish some one had tod me all this before I got involved with electrical work! But it does have its good points im just struggling to think of them at the moment :)

S

Stewart

Just get a set price from a reliable spark that wants to do your work, then build it into your price, plus you markup. I have a set price for all the usual things that go into a bathroom and do quite well out of it.

If you start doing everything, then you start putting more pressure on yourself, jobs take longer and you don't really make any more money.

Get yourself a good reliable squad, imo it's the best way.

C

cornish_crofter

Dave's right - you need to be Part P approved installer.

That doesn't mean to say you need to be a fully trained electrician or such like though.

Best thing if you want to learn more is to do the 17th edition course at your local tech college. A basic understanding of domestic installations helps, but you could quickly gleen this from various references on the net etc.

Then if you want to take it further, try and find a good C and G 2391 course. This will take you to the next level of inspection and test. It won't turn you into an installer overnight but the inspection and test element will hep you to understand what is expected in terms of good practice etc.

You will also understand the level of paperwork that is needed etc.

Having said that, there is much to be said for hiring someone to come in work alongside you. They take responsibility for the installation alterations, leaving you to get on with what you do best.

T

tfs

Hey guys,

Looked into this previously.

Part P is a great route to go but, for us guys in Scotland it is not a recognised qualification as it has not yet been enforced here.

To the best of my knowledge we need to go down the route of 17th Edition and inspection and testing etc and then register with a trade body prior to being in anyway qialified. I think Part P would give you the knowledge required to pass the required tests to register with a certified body.

There is ofcourse the exception as you can carry out minor work like raplacing sockets and light fittings etc. You cant do works such as new circuits and some work in bathroom etc

Last edited by a moderator:
(Dave's right - you need to be Part P approved installer)

Part P to Building Regulations - The IET

you can still do notafiable work in england and wales (diy) without being part p registered part, p registered only means that they can self certify there work without involving building control before work comenses see above link Q10/3 (DIY electrical work is not to be encouraged, however where a householder wishes to carry out electrical work they must notify building control before commencing work. Building control will arrange for the work to be, inspected and tested at various stages and will charge a fee to cover any costs incurred)
This only applies in England and Wales Scotland has always had Buildings Standards (Scotland) Regulations covering improvements and as long as its not involved with structural work its not notifiable

S

Smudger

where did you learn slowly? did you do a course?
Did my Part P with OLCI (freebie as part of my plumbing qual). Took a week and was pretty intensive as a lot to cover and test. While its good to be able to do it I agree with SlowlyLearning as there is a fairly hefty initial layout on multimeter and scheme mebership. Been asked to install saniflo & do ufh so don't know whether to sign up with i.e. Napit or Elecsa or call a sparky.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to fast track course for electrics in bathrooms etc in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
  • Question
hi all, I’m a plumber by trade, but want to learn how to tile for bathroom jobs and making good...
Replies
Views
Be the Best with BAL! The importance of correct training should never be underestimated. As the...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
Z
Hi Guys, I have just joined the forum and was looking for some advice. I am currently working...
Replies
Views
prceramics
P

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB