UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Fekins saftey tip of the day... watch what your doing with a Stanley knife :) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Fekin

Went to finish off a garage floor that I laid yesterday, just had a little grouting to do and now had a piece of trim to lay to finish off the tiles where the garage door met the floor.
Odd customer, didn't want any trim when quoting him, just finish off with grout, nearly finished job and he then wanted a trim along the tile the full width of the floor.
Couldn't use tile to floor strips as that would have pretruded under the garage door and be visible on the drive which he didn't want, so he decided on standard tile trim, but these couldn't be fitter propperly becuase the tiles had been down overnight and we're soild, so trim couldn't be slid under the tile, so I had to cut off the flat section of trim all the way along and just use the rounded side.

Out with the Stanley, brand new blade, and like a twonk I was stood there just holding the tile trim in the left hand, stanley in the right just about to score down the length of trim to cut off the flat strip, thinking this was probably a bad idea, but still went ahead anyway.

Well, first cut the blade slipped and came down in a sharp chopping motion onto my thumb, caught just where the thumb joins the hand, through the skin, through the layer of fat, through some grisely bits and I think the bone stopped it :lol:

Cut was only an inch wide, but as deep as it gets, so after a an hour in A&E was back, cut my trim propperly this time, stuck it down and left.

So that's my tip of the day, if you think what your doing is a bad idea... it most probably is :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fekin

I dont feel it will be strong enough myself but time will tell. I would have lifted the tiles and charged the client for that.

That's exactly what I planned to do, but the customer wasn't having it, and I wasn't going to lift a full row, clean up the groutlines, relay and regrout for nothing.

I told him it wasn't the best idea but he's happy, Im happy "other than disecting my thumb" so as you say, time will tell.

S

sWe

Ouch! I hate it when such things happen.

Some time ago, I was removing an old, ugly splashback with a hammer and a tile bolster. One of the tiles cracked, in a bad way, and sent splinters flying through the room. One of them hit my arm. It wasn't a big piece, and the cut wasn't particularly wide or anything, but it was deep. I bled like a ****ing pig; blood literally poured down my arm. I couldn't find my first aid kit, and it wouldn't stop bleeding, so I borrowed some super-glue from the customer and glued it shut :rofl:

That stuff was originally used to stop bleeding, so I mean, why the hell not? :)

And oh, I ruined a carpet while at it :rofl:

H

hillhead

very sore indeed,
about 2 months ago i had a full house to start,had only 6 days to finish it
.I got in another tiler and my usual helper,anyway first morning the tiles arrived and i thought we better all help unload the trailer !!!!! i jumped up in,armed with my lovely snappable blade stanley knife to cut straps holding boxes of tiles together,i cut away and handed the boxes down,near finished when i slipped the blade into my thumb !!! ouch !! throught the top and down 1/4 of my nail or more !!
damn sore.I'v had a few slips with them lately,have to be more careful.

F

frogeye

Stanley Knives ! - ahh memories....my best one...

when I was a lad I was helping to rewire a house - having marked out the conduit runs on the walls I had to score the plaster and paper with a Stanley prior to chopping out with a bolster - it did give a neater finish.

I remember steadying myself, one hand on the wall, fingers splayed, pulled the Stanley up through the line and sliced the end of my finger off, blood everywhere.

I had seen a programme earlier about some chap chopping his arm off in an accident and taking it to the accy hospital in a bag of ice where it was successfully re-attached.

So I put my finger tip in a bag with ice and arrived at the hospital. I showed them the finger and the bag and watched several nurses stifle laughs as they pulled out my finger tip about the size of a pitza from the bag.

Rule one - pack limb etc in a bag and then in the ice - mine had absorbed the ice cubes.

Finger healed up - just a bit flat at the top now

happy care free, risk assessment free days:yes:

frogeye

Reply to Fekins saftey tip of the day... watch what your doing with a Stanley knife :) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am in the process of tiling with subways and just wanted some help with corners, if trim...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.