Discuss First bathroom tiling job! Any advice appreciated. in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

gerryk

Well, it's not just a bathroom, I'm doing the wetroom downstairs too.
The bathroom is basically just the floor, with a 6" high plinth for the bath which has been build from 6x2 and marine ply.
The shower is in a corner and has a stud wall built on one side, giving a 3 sided shower.

Can I tile directly onto the marine ply plinth?

Should I tank or partially tank the shower? The tray is already fitted, and the floor is screed over hollowcore.

The wetroom floor is screed with a fall towards the drain. I am planning on doing the shower area in mosaic and the rest of the floor in regular tiles. The walls are skimmed block walls and one wall is skimmed, insulated plasterboard. Should I tank here also?

Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.

BTW, I am tiling the utility room floor this weekend to get a feel for the whole tiling thing. I haven't done any before, but I am pretty meticulous and take my time.

G

gerryk

Hi... thanks for the reply. Basically, the upstairs bathroom is about 2.5m x 4m. The bath is along one of the short ends, and a plinth has been (or is being) built which will go from wall to wall and from the end wall to about 1.5m from the end wall. The bath will sit on this.
The finishing contractor and carpenter seem to think that wood/ply is suitable for this plinth.

I hope I have clarified things a little.

M

mikethetile

Hi Gerry

marine ply is fine for the plinth, i would prime it before sticking, its best primed on all sides inc the edges but you might not get that luxury, the ply shouldnt move if its well fixed to some 6x2, this wants to be well fixed as well as you dont want any deflection or movement whatsoever as it will pop your tiles off

you havent stated which addy your using but get the primer to suit

M

mikethetile

Hi gerry
ive just re read your post, i didnt realise it was a wet room floor, you could ask them to use a cement board like hardy backer in place of ply and tank to seal all the joints

if its too late and they have already used the ply you can tank the ply ensuring all the joints are sealed to keep everything watertight

its very important that the softwood frame is kept dry as it will move if wet with disastrous results

G

gerryk

Will you be tanking the plywood before tiling . I hate wood in showers.

Judging by the other responses, I will certainly be treating it somehow.

Hi gerry
ive just re read your post, i didnt realise it was a wet room floor, you could ask them to use a cement board like hardy backer in place of ply and tank to seal all the joints

Hi Mike... the ply is for the plinth that the bath will sit on. The wetroom is another room. It is screed floor and skimmed walls, with one wall being insulated slabbing.

is this job for a paying customer?

Hi Andy... sorry for the confusion.. no, this is for me. My house is completed (to a builder's finish) and I'm finishing it off myself.

D

doug boardley

is this the kind of plinth you mean Gerry?
doug-boardley-albums-sunny-hill-complete-picture5661-sunny-hill-finish-005.jpg

M

mikethetile

Hi Gerry

Thats cleared that one up, I was wondering why you were putting a bath in a wetroom, nothing surprises me these days and i just get on with meeting the customers needs the best I can

so its first post then ignoring second

marine ply is a stable water resistant ply which doesnt mind a bit of intermittant wetting provided its allowed to dry out between wettings, hence its use in boat building and its name, but it wont survive constant wetting and will break down

using to face a plinth under a bath is fine, make sure they do a belt and braces job on the fixing as you dont want any deflection at all

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to First bathroom tiling job! Any advice appreciated. in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB