UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss First Big tiling Job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Cass Idy

Hi, So as the title says this will be my first big tiling job, i have done odd tiling jobs with the occasional floor etc but nothing by myself, the problem i have is i really cut myself short when pricing up for jobs.
The job itself is a 3.7 x 3.7 meter so say 14Sqm kitchen in a chinese take away. The ovens etc are big and not easily moved out so my idea would be to do half the room then move the stuff over and do the other half. There is already tiles down but they are starting to come up. i am unsure of how good/rigid/level the ground is underneath so i am taking into account i may need to completely board it with 12mm Ply and then coat with PVA. failing that if the floorboards are not too great reboard with 18mm and get rid of the old floorboards. I have come up with these sums

Remove old tiles/ board floor/PVA ready for Tiling: Labour 1 day, 2 men ***, Materials ****(allowing a day as moving the ovens etc will be a pain in the ***)
Laying New tiles and grouting: Labour 2 days 2 men ****, Materials ****

So total of ****all material/labour cost

I was thinking of charging Per Msq but with the problems of moving around the ovens and stuff i would prefer to charge day rate

Does this sound about right? i am really sturggling with prices as i have not long gone solo

Thanks in advance guys

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cass Idy

Yes kilty my brother is a gas engineer and is sorting that problem for me. The place will actually be shut for 3 weeks when the work is being Done. Pete i was always told to use pva bonding to seal and help with the adhesive when tiling onto ply?? is this wrong now? The floor underneath is definitely floorboards as i just re boarded and skimmed the ceiling below =). and as for the deflection the tile in there now have been down for a very very long time and only 2 tiles are coming up at the entrance to the kitchen.

B

bugs183

Hi Cass. This floor is going to take a huge amount of foot traffic so it needs to be done right.
Firstly i'd reboard the floor, if the tiles have worked loose then any grease and grime will soak into the old floor and nothing will stick to this.
I'd be wary about tiling direct to wood, even with new plywood. I always put Ditra matting over any wood floor, i'm sure others hear may say otherwise, but i know i won't have a problem. Also consider cement boards, i'm using more and more of these lately and particularly like Marmox. Stick it down with flexible floor tile adhesive using a 10mm trowel and then screw, using washers, you'll have a really solid floor to work on.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to First Big tiling Job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
Hello. Can I take your advice please? Our groundworks company are refusing to guarantee their...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, i took some jobs as a contractor for some MC Donald's restaurants but i find it quite...
Replies
Views
Hi, My tiler has just left and apart from him chatting to me about his life story for majority...
Replies
Views
Posted a couple of times for advice a few weeks back, the outcome of which was to scrap my plan...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.