Discuss First marble job - advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tony Cooper

Hello there lads,

At very short notice I've got my first marble installation (cappucino) for a bathroom, it's approx 14m2 walls and 4m2 on the floor. Apparantly the walls will have new plasterboard and the floor will be 12mm ply. I'll be using Mapei Keraquick S1 adhesive.

Will I need to prime the plasterboard ? or is it ok to go straight on and will I need to buy the latex additive for the floor to make it more flexi ? What size spacers would you suggest ?

Thanks for your help,

Cheers,

Tony

T

Tony Cooper

Hi Lads,

Thanks for the replies, good points there.

Paul78, you make a point of how the plasterboard has been fixed, is it a problem if it's just been dot and dabbed ? If it has, can you still put marble tiles on full height ? Do I need to prime the walls first ?

Huggy, the sealer I've been advised to use is called 'Universeal All-in-one' so hopefully it's fit for purpose.

I'm looking at the job on Tuesday so will be able to make a judgement call then.

Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers,

Tony

D

diamondtiling

The weight of the tiles will be considerably heavy, dot and dabbed plasterboard is not acceptable. Mechanical fixings have to be used to strengthen them. Universal sealer? never heard of it and it sounds a little suspect. Marble has its own specific sealers, have a look at LTP's range.

The ply is not a great tiling surface, backer boards are far superior. Is the customer doing this on the cheap? if so I would leave well alone.

Here is chinese marble fixed direct to a concrete floor with 2mm spacers, these were really heavy and I would not have wanted to fix them to any type of plasterboard, block walls, tile backer boards (mechanically fixed) or sand and cement screed would provide a better surface.

Picture 1 of 9 from Chinese marble

Reply to First marble job - advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Hi, My tiler has just left and apart from him chatting to me about his life story for majority...
Replies
Views
Hello. First time tiler looking for some advice. Doing a bathroom reno and had a professional...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, i took some jobs as a contractor for some MC Donald's restaurants but i find it quite...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
First marble job - advice please
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.