Discuss First time wet room UFH in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

BAIKAR

First time poster on an excellent forum.
The project is a small 3.5m2 ensuite wet room. It's ground floor with concrete floor. I decided on a pre formed tray as I didn't want to worry about achieving the correct fall. The tray is fitted with the remainder of the floor levelled with outdoor ply. Room has been tanked floor to ceiling with a Mapei kit. I'm fitting a varme ufh kit which up until now has went fine. Fitted the thermostat on the bedroom wall just outside the wet room, the floor probe was recessed into the ply inside the supplied conduit and I've all the wiring up to the point of needing an electrician to finish it off.
My questions relate to the fixing of the cable mat and then tiling over the top with mosaic tile sheets. I've seen replies on other posts saying not to put the mat in the tray as it messes up the preformed falls but I wanted it heated for the room heating and to dry the floor after use. Should I avoid slc and just try a light bed of adhesive just to the height of the cable then when ready to tile just be careful with the bed to fix the tiles so that I don't damage the wiring?
Some suggest sticking the cable mat with it's double sided tape back then tile directly. I was worried that the area of the cable and it's backing are areas were tile adhesive is prevented from touching the floor and so would be a weak point. Would that be true?
Lastly the end of the cable that has been factory sealed is quite thick compared with the rest of the mat and I was concerned with having it completely covered. It ends on top of the preformed tray. If it was over the ply I would slightly recess it to make it level with the mat.
Any help appreciated.

D

diamondtiling

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Have you considered a cable system instead of a mat? they take a bit longer but are more practical in my opinion. Fix them with a glue gun, it takes seconds to dry. The end of the cable is larger because its the return loop, I usually sink these into the thermal boards.
As for fixing to the tray, you wont feel any benefit as the hot water will negate the heat.
Are you using thermal boards? if not then you should consider them as they lower running costs and allow the installation to heat up very quickly.
Covering the cable with a flexible SLC is a good idea both in terms of protection and heating properties. Use something like Mapei fibrebond.

:thumbsup:

B

BAIKAR

Thanks for the reply. I've already purchased the mat, I liked the idea of it being ready to roll out. I'm not using thermal boards as didn't want the floor raised up any further. Because of drainage the floor already has been raised with the former and ply. I thought the former and the ply would provide some insulation from the concrete floor.

The heated floor was not really to keep it warm whilst you shower it was with the idea that it will heat the room (radiator was removed) and to dry the floor.

The return loop is now over the top of the former and I didn't think it was a good idea to start cutting into this.

Would the slc not ruin my fall on the former?

B

BAIKAR

Thanks for the reply. I've already purchased the mat, I liked the idea of it being ready to roll out. I'm not using thermal boards as didn't want the floor raised up any further. Because of drainage the floor already has been raised with the former and ply. I thought the former and the ply would provide some insulation from the concrete floor.

The heated floor was not really to keep it warm whilst you shower it was with the idea that it will heat the room (radiator was removed) and to dry the floor.

The return loop is now over the top of the former and I didn't think it was a good idea to start cutting into this.

Would the slc not ruin my fall on the former?

B

BAIKAR

Diamond I wasn't going to use slc over the former I was just questioning the suggestion you made in your earlier post.
The reason I used the ply was that two sheets brought it to the exact depth needed to make it level with the former. I could still replace the ply with some thermal board but this area is quite small as there is a sink and toilet reducing the heated area. So don't really think it would be worth lifting the ply. It's a varme cable mat 2 metre square giving an output of 300 watt. A tile centre suggested going for a 100w per square metre mat based on the under floor but I went for the higher 150w.

Reply to First time wet room UFH in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am installing a shower/wet room in an upstairs on suite. Shower tray will be installed...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Shower Tile Repair - Tile Waterproofing in Brownstown MI. Schluter wet room conversion 24h...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
First time wet room UFH
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.