Discuss Fitting Trim Correctly in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jackal792

Hi All,

Just wondering if there are any guidelines to how trim should be correctly fitted, I'v tried searching the forums without any joy.

Just wondering about the following points:

Is lippage is acceptable and how much (mm)
Should the trim be flush with the tiles
Should there be any movement after the trim has been fitted
Should there be any space/gaps between the trim and tiles.
Are sharp pointy corners acceptable

If anyone has photo's of trim they've fitted that would be really helpful

Cheers

C

Colour Republic

As above but I leave a gap to grout most of the time, it depends on what i think will look better with the tiles you are using at the time

colour-republic-albums-kitchen-march-2009-picture12320-mitred-trim.jpg

colour-republic-albums-kitchen-march-2009-picture12321-boxing-built-taking-account-2-tile.jpg

C

Colour Republic

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jackal792

Comments welcome on the following pictures... basically need to explain to our builders why our tiling is not to a 'professional' standard in writing.
Seems as though they have used the wrong size and fitted it badly.
Trim under window sill
Trim.jpg
Trim on step loose 1
UnfixedStepTrim3.jpg
Trim on step loose 2
UnfixedStepTrim.jpg
Top of window sill
WindowLippageTop.jpg
Loose on step 3
UnfixedStepTrim2.jpg
The step (corner is really sharp, we were told there was no other trim that could have been used for this)
StepSharpCorner.jpg
Under window trim
WindowLippage.jpg
Soil pipe trim
SoilPipeGrout.jpg
Trim above window
TrimAboveWindow.jpg

S

Stewart

I always fix the trim securely, with a grout line. As to fitting flush it depends on the tile, I prefer to finish flush if the tile is smooth, but if it's a rough tile, I finish to the highest point. I always use metal trims, so sharp edges are a no-no. I also use a trim that is 2mm thicker..... than the thickest part of the tile. A lot of tilers match the trim to the edge of the tile, but when they have a cut edge, they find out the trim isn't wide enough.

IMG_0531.jpg

C

Colour Republic

It seems its an okay job but spoiled by the finishing touches, this is very comman among some fitters, they just want to get in done and go.

I'm a sucker for detail and will happily spend another half day on a bathroom doing the detailing when most other guys will have called it a day.

Have you paid them for the work Jackal?

You haven't seen the other pictures yet Bob! Jackel posted them a few days ago. There is a lot of lippage especially under the window

This one springs to mind

18629d1286836908-poor-quality-tiling-refusing-receipts-proud.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jackal792

Yep they've been paid! I now need to prove that the job isn't to a "professional" standard, we'll likely need an independent report so we need to be sure of ourselves before pursuing this, basically I want to write them a letter but work in facts rather than opinions....
So even though we can see the lippage we want to be able to say... XXXX states deviation.

I was told that the tile tolerances i.e: how flat they are between joints can be within 3mm but seems a lot.

http://www.tilersforums.com/tiling-forum/27232-tile-tolerances.html
This thread seems to say under 1mm for 6mm joints.... I think the tilers used 4mm spacers.

Reply to Fitting Trim Correctly in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice. Recently had the chamber of my fireplace...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Have a question about how/when best to install tile trim - probably quite basic! One...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Ok I am fitting the tile trim L shaped aluminium profile around the window, Dave you are right...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Fitting Trim Correctly
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.