UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Fixing Hardie backer board (floor) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Realstokebloke

Hi, i got in a pickle with an ensuite (recently posted) & am now on the remedials.

Jason the tiler was a fab help thanks - but i can't keep pestering him as a go fwd...

Nearly all told me that my orig ply was too thin on the floor so it all came up again.

I was told to use 6mm Hardi backer to the floor instead.

I have taken up the old ply and am back to the green chipboard. I will now bang in as many screws as possible to the joists to really get it firm (150 centres).

My Q are:

do i just screw the Hardie backer to these & through to the joists, or does it need any prep first ? (hopefully not more ply as i'm trying to keep the height down.)

What screws / centres?

Does it need adhesive?

What if there are any small gaps do i "pack" it?

The when it's down, do i need a two part adhesive or will a flexible do? (tiles are 330 sq. ceramics)

I had a Unibond but have skipped that, so am keen to get it right.

I still have the Mapei flexi coloured grout (it cracked before but due to the thin ply & floor flex i guess) so will that still do?

It hasn't arrived yet and i may get a set of instructions (but i strongly doubt it).

Cheers.

G

grumpygrouter

It is important that your floor is solid before you go any further. If there is any bounce then you will still have problems. If you floor is solid then you lay the hardie down in a staggard pattern using adhesive initally and then screws. The adhesive is only there to fill potential voids underneath the board and not as an adhesive. Use a flexible adhesive both below and above the boards and screw the boards down at about 200mm centres. There are indicating marks on the boards to screw through into the chipboard/joists.

I

Ian

Now that your ply is up, check the floor for deflection (have a really good jump on it) as the hardie will add no strength or stability to the floor, it just provides a suitable surface to tile to. As for laying it, use a flexible adhesive (the same as you will use for your tiles) and screw it at 200mm centres. Leave expansion gaps between the boards of 2/3mm and use a suitable mesh tape to cover the joints before you tile.

R

Rich

[h=3]HardieBacker...[/h]

Have a read through this link, should give you a little more info. The guys above are bang on as always.

Swanson, no cement tile backer boards that I know of say that their boards add any strength to the floor, for this reason it is very important to make sure that the floor is deflection free before you fix the boards down not to rely on the backer boards to sort out a deflective floor. If the floor has deflection, the tiles will crack and lift if you use a backer board or not.

R

Realstokebloke

Cheers guys - double checking - surely i don't need to re-ply it underneath the backer (mentions putting it over 18mm ply in post above)?

Surely the adhesive mentioned fills any gaps etc?

Also assume you mean that you don't need to put further ply down if the floor itself is soild / sound?

Are Hardibacker screws just wall/plasterboard screws (coated)?

And no 2 part adhesive (just in case)?

G

grumpygrouter

Cheers guys - double checking - surely i don't need to re-ply it underneath the backer (mentions putting it over 18mm ply in post above)?

Also assume you mean that you don't need to put further ply down if the floor itself is soild / sound?

The ply would be used to strengthen the floor so if it is solid then you don't need it. You can use a 2 part adhesive if you wish, it wouldn't hurt. Keraquick and Latex Plus is ideal if you can get it. You need non corroding screws for the board, stainless steel is ideal.

R

Realstokebloke

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

Walking with kings dosent make you one
Not sure what your comment is supposed to imply! We are only here to help people with their tiling questions and if information is posted that is incorrect then we try to ensure that the right info is passed on. If you have difficulty accepting that then that is a shame. I bet there isn't a tiler on here, even with 30 or 40 years experience who hasn't learned at least 1 thing they didn't know.
You are more than welcome here but please keep sarcastic comments to your self, they aren't necessary!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Fixing Hardie backer board (floor) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I'm about to tile my kitchen with 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. I am tiling onto a subfloor...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.