Discuss Flexible conduit for Temp Sensor?? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

p4ulo

Bugger it, the shops are shut, and I've just seen that the temp sensor for my electric floor which I planned on installing, taping down and SLC'ing over tonight after work at 1030 "should" be mounted inside a flexible conduit!!!
Any advice.
I've read a few things on the T'internet that says Its not overly necessary as they "extremely rarely" fail.....!?
So, B+Q is open til 9pm....I'll take a mooch and see what I can find....I could use a bit of garden hose I suppose? Any thoughts.
Gutted cos plumber is coming tomorrow evening and I was hoping to get the dirty stuff done before he got there!

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

The electric mats have guarantees of 10-20 years.
The sensors 1-2 years!!
I'd make sure it was accessible.
We tend to make them 'getable' from the skirting across the floor in a tube. In the wall a draw wire will pull a new cable through. Usually find that the tubes won't pull/push a thin cable at the point of bend.
And on that note - why are they all ribbed on the inside - almost impossible to feed the cable through!

P

p4ulo

Tech sheet says :
"as the warranty does not cover the floor, it is recommended that the floor sensor is installed into a non-conductive conduit. this will allow for easy replacement of sensor after the flooring has been laid"
Nothing included in the kit!
I've bought a length of 12.5mm bore garden hose, and that's my choice. it was either that or 20mm thick flexible conduit that would've bought the height of the floor higher than everything else!!!

P

p4ulo

The electric mats have guarantees of 10-20 years.
The sensors 1-2 years!!
I'd make sure it was accessible.
We tend to make them 'getable' from the skirting across the floor in a tube. In the wall a draw wire will pull a new cable through. Usually find that the tubes won't pull/push a thin cable at the point of bend.
And on that note - why are they all ribbed on the inside - almost impossible to feed the cable through!
Oh that would work. Do you think its allowed to cut the sensor wire and make a join?
What I'm thinking is - simple tube to centre of the floor, which comes out underneath the remove-able bath panel.....put a connection in it, connect to the rest of the wire then hard-set the rest of the very thin wire in the floor up to the thermostat??
It seems its a very thin 2 core wire so I'm sure a connection would work well???

R

Rookery

Not all the ufh kits I've fitted over the years have come with a conduit. In those cases I've just encased the probe in the slc I always pour. In any case, it's all very well being able to draw a duff probe out through the conduit but I'm bl@@dy sure I'd never be able to feed a replacement down the conduit right to the end. You could always fit a 2nd probe in case the first one fails.

P

p4ulo

You cut it at the end being connected to your control unit.
Remember all electrical connections require a Part P certificate from a fully qualified electrician, even in your own home.
Yeah that's cool....all wiring being done by a proper chap.
I just read that the sensor wire can be extended using bell-wire up to 50m....I suppose I could leave all this section of wire under the bath, then route a section of "bell-wire" up to the thermostat.....
Dammit....another case of hoarding being rewarded, I knew I kept that length of bell-wire in the garage for something!!!!!

P

p4ulo

So....this is what I ended up doing.

Hosepipe section in set into floor, correct distance out from wall, terminating underneath bath. (end taped up!)
Sensor pushed in right to end, then back 2 inches so not under tape.
Rest of sensor wire set into floor and into wall, terminating nicely inside back-box for Thermostat.

Thinking behind it is:
All documents say its OK to extend sensor wire, couldn't find anything specific to this item that says it can be cut.
So, if it fails, it can be withdrawn from under floor inside bath panel, and replaced and joined to wire running to back-box.
Simple!

I ended up getting mixed replies from Electricians Forum, one fella said my plan sounded fine, other said put it in conduit all the way! (wasn't an option unforts!)

Thanks for all your help...
Pictures to follow when its all done. xx

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Flexible conduit for Temp Sensor?? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

H
Hi all, I'm new to the forum but very much hoping you can help with a problem I've got.. We had...
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
M
I'm a Plumber by trade but will often do a bit of tiling as part of a bathroom install when...
Replies
Views
destroyer2813
D
A
Hi there, new to this so bear with me. We have a large walk in wet room built about 10 yrs...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB