UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Floating Floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

TREKKY

Just been to look at a conservatory, it was built a year ago and the customer says the installers said it has a floating floor. Which as far as I can see is 18mm T&G Weyroc over some sort of polystyrene sheet (about 25mm thick) over concrete. None of which seem to be fixed to the other, just laid one on top of the other with the T&G joints glued. All of the joints stand up by about 7 or 8mm which suggests that either they have swelled or the boards have sagged in the middle into the polystyrene underlay either way it is very wavy (as far as I can see there are no joists under the flooring the whole lot just sits on whatever concrete was laid). The main part of the floor seems reasonably stable but some of the boards do move when walked on and in addition there are several places around the edge where the floor flexes downwards by up to 10 to 20 mm when you stand on it. The customer wants 300X200 porcelain tiles laid on it. Would 12mm ply screwed and glued hold this together without the tiles and or grout breaking up ? Personally I think it wants ripping up and starting again, with new joists to support a 25mm floor. Any ideas would be welcome.

C

Concept PHT

To be fair, the polystyrene should be under the concrete with the wooden floor on top of that (obvioulsy with underlay).

My advice is to rip up the T&G boards and drop a screed on top of the polystyrene. Then use flexi materials to finish the job off.

Another option is to take the polystyrene with it too and then re lay it with insulating board and tile as above without the screed. Depends on how high / low the floor will be.

Either way, its going to cost the customer a fair bit to have the job done right :)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Floating Floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I'm planning on tiling my porch, and the tiles and adhesive will take up around 13mm of height...
Replies
Views
I’ve got 3/4” MDF over 1-1/2” t&g car decking, over 6x8” joists on 48” centers. All solid, good...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.