Discuss Floor fail...but why? - BCT "floor" tiles that are rubbish in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

SJPurdy

I did have a case a few years ago of floor tiles cracking over a joint in the Hardie backer. In my case it was because of water getting under the Hardie backer and causing a bit of swelling in the floor boards underneath one of the hardie-backer sheets (actually half sheet nearest bathroom door). This sheet lifted slightly relative to the adjacent sheet and so there was a bending in the Hardie layer at the joint which transferred to the tiles and cracked them. In my case I think they were normal floor tiles, so rule everything else out before blaming the tiles in this case.

There are many so called floor tiles which may be suitable for fixing to a floor in an upstairs bathroom (bare feet and slippers only) but also only need to be fixed to a very rigid substrate (more rigid than BS overboarded floor standards?) and probably need decoupling as a standard.

I think there is a case for floor tiles to be given more relevant grading system which should be clear on the packaging eg. as here suitability for fixing to different substrates; suitability for under tile heating, slip resistance, water resistance, abrasive resistance (hardness), etc. One day!

F

Flintstone

image.jpeg
I have just done this one today. It is the last time I will be fitting these ceramics on a floor.

I've fitted no more ply with loads of glue and screws, solid bed and back butter.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
may be a "wall and floor tile "but defo not a timber floor. solid floors only with that tile and even then you are taking a risk
I agree with you ....but why can't they put that on the box, I've had many a customer look at me like I've got 2 heads when I tell them imo there not fit to go on a floor when it's written in Black and white suitable for floors Inc kitchen, bathroom, conservatory..etc

T

The D

I agree with you ....but why can't they put that on the box, I've had many a customer look at me like I've got 2 heads when I tell them imo there not fit to go on a floor when it's written in Black and white suitable for floors Inc kitchen, bathroom, conservatory..etc
That would restrict the sale of the tiles and any problems that come up can just be shrugged off as fixer error as that is the easiest get out and most tilers will take it on the chin to save their reputation.

J

Joseph Kover

The true is the fact you are the tradesman,the client not have any authority to tell you how you do your job.Is just up to you if is suitable or not,if you with your experience have any concern about the materials or surface not need to ask to your customer,just refuse to do something wrong.
yes, dangerous situation.customers expect the trader to make ANY warning against any materials they provide.they most cases ask for confirmation before fitting many also does contact before purchase and provide product codes or direct link to their tile choice.
I did work with British tiles,honestly its just better not to touch them at all just return it and get something else instead.+/- 2.5mm size differences and lots of cracked tiles.poor quality. if you see this one specifically,dont even open the boxes. British Ceramic Tiles Devonstone Grey Feature floor tile - https://www.tiledealer.co.uk/tiles/british-ceramic-tiles/british-ceramic-tiles-devonstone-grey-feature.html

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Floor fail...but why? - BCT "floor" tiles that are rubbish in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
hello Folks, its a tiny area. 1.8 m2. Joists are solid 3 inch wide. Area is upstairs close to...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB