Discuss Floor Prep Advice Please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

ssceramictiling

Hi all,

New to the forum and looking for some advice/ opinions for floor preparation.

Got a hall floor to tile with 300mm x 300mm slate. The substrate is 18mm tongue and groove flooring.

Was thinking about the following:

(1) Lifting tongue and groove floorboards, adding noggins between joists and sheeting with 18mm plywood. Then using ditra before tiling with spf adhesive.

OR

(2) If above not necessary, keeping tongue and groove flooring and overboarding with 6mm hardie and tiling with spf adhesive.

Would either of the above be ok?

Further advice / recommendations would be welcome!

Thanks in advance :smiley2:

S

Stef

Thanks Stef much appreciated.

As far as i can see at the moment the floorboards look pretty good. Heavy carpet covering much of the floor but once this is up I can check bounce etc.

How do you find the Hardie screws? Don't like them much but as far as i know galvanised roofing nails can be used, any thoughts on this?

Thanks again :smiley2:

I used to use nails but always use screws now after advice on here a few years back.
I use turbo golds 25mm from ScrewFix, drive in a treat & you will never snap the heads, they are robust.
I tried the stainless screws from ScrewFix but they kept snapping.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Floor Prep Advice Please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just about to get going on bathroom reno and would very much appreciate if you could...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB