Discuss Floor prep problem. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Have got a 30m2 kitchen floor to do in a couple of weeks,and the problem is at the moment the floor is solid oak flooring ,I have removed a small section to see whats underneath and it 12mm ply direct to the joist's ,the customer wants the cheapest way for the prep,I want to overboard with ply and use ditra or would backerboard suffice my concern is the 12mm ply to joist,I have not removed all the oak flooring as the customer wants to do this to keep the cost down and is not prepared to remove it until two days before I start.

I am going to prepare the floor but as the customer does not want the oak taken up until two days before, the problem is once the oak flooring has been removed there might be to much bounce in the floor as its only 12mm ply to joist,I have never come across this before always been 18mm ,my question is will the floor be man enough if I overboard with ply and then ditra or go with backboard maybe 12 mm.

What the customer is saying is the cheapest method either overboard with ply and ditra or backer as the ditra is roughly same price as backer it cuts out the ply ,there is no way that I would do a cheap job,once the oak is removed then I will decide which way to go and if the floor has deflection and he is not prepared to pay then I will walk,my main concern is the 12mm ply direct to the joist's.

The customer only wanted me to remove a small section,yes its not glued and what I could see underneath was 12mm ply direct to the joist,I have had a word with them about taking it up but they do not want it removed until I start in a couple weeks because of there children,just cant get it thru to them that I need to look ,think they expect me to start tiling straight away,I have now left it with them to ring me after they make there mind up as they are removing the oak not me.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
The oak will be 18mm.
I'd state clearly that you can't know what prep will ve required until its exposed.

Personally speaking? I would anticipate "joists" to be close enough together to have unglued oak over it. Certainly if it us 12mm.
18mm ply cross bonded, glued (with a wood glue not tile cement) and screwed down at freqent, regular intervals would be plenty ample. What with it being 30mm ply in total.
Ditra and away you go.

Reply to Floor prep problem. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
OK hear me out. Kitchen floor. Pro tiler. 15mm clearance from top of dishwasher to underside of...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB