Discuss Floor preparation advice in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jackthehat

Quick hello to all who reads & responds to the post.

I'm after a bit of advice and guidance on a floor preparation prior to tiling.
Bathroom will consist of a wetroom with underfloor heating.

In order to keep the floor as low/original as possible I'm thinking of ripping up the old floorboards & fitting 18mm hardwood ply screwed down onto the joists & then placing 6mm insulated tile backing board over the ply.

I'm a lil unsure of how to prep the different layers-
Does this sound correct:

• 18mm hardwood ply on joists screwed down 250mm apart
• Bal single part flexible adhesive with notched trowel on top of the ply and then fix the insulated backer board to the ply with screws & fixing washers.
• Fit loose wire heating & fix tiles to the backer board with Bal flexible adhesive.

Upon tanking the wetroom- should I "overtank" the wetroom by 50mm or so or just the former tray and wetroom walls?

Regards
Jack

J

jackthehat

Thx for the replies ;)

The floor is just shy of 6sq's (3 wetroom walls 8.1sq's) so I'll order another kit and tank the lot for peace of mind.

Insulation backer boards are Jackoboards- edges slightly damaged during shipment but nothing the waterproofing tape wont be able to seal.

So to recap-

Rip up floorboards
18mm hardwood ply screwed to joists
Flexible tile adhesive on top of the ply
6mm Insulated backer boards screwed on top of the ply & all joints sealed properly
Uhf goes down next
Latex Slc to just above the wires
Tank up the whole room & then start tiling.

Regards
J

Q

Qwerty

Thx for the replies ;)

The floor is just shy of 6sq's (3 wetroom walls 8.1sq's) so I'll order another kit and tank the lot for peace of mind.

Insulation backer boards are Jackoboards- edges slightly damaged during shipment but nothing the waterproofing tape wont be able to seal.

So to recap-

Rip up floorboards
18mm hardwood ply screwed to joists
Flexible tile adhesive on top of the ply
6mm Insulated backer boards screwed on top of the ply & all joints sealed properly
Uhf goes down next
Latex Slc to just above the wires
Tank up the whole room & then start tiling.

Regards
J

You got it!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Floor preparation advice in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB