Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Floor Tile Shinaigans...The reprise...And a monster post, sorry! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Cools71

Hey again fellers,

Thanks for the last bits of helpful advice, job went "smoove", just to recap I was the chap with the ceramic on ceramic kithchen thru bathroom with the levelling issues. Apart from the fact that the muck slips and slides when you bed down onto ceramic, it was a little tricky trying to get an even bed, but I managed and was done in a day and a half :) And a lovely job it was too, even if I say so myself.

The next step...

It seems the chap was happy with my work and has asked me to quote on his new showroomn :) :) 140m2 Slate tiles onto another lovely flat new screed :), I am smiling alot, considering I have only just gone on my own as a pro tiler, it couldn't be better. I think I have the dream start that many people would like.

Heres the quandry. priced at £30m2 which seems to be the going rate for natural stone/slate thats is £4200. At £20m2 its £2800, sounds nice I know. I am however, very concerned at pricing myself out of the job. I will need labour assistance, no joke there, and I could do woth a few extra tools I have been waiting to get the jobs to pay for, like a mixer for the muck, and a groutboy washboy thing.

This guy is a installation manager for the company so hes not a mug, not that I am mugging anybody off, or wanting to either. I am honest as the day is long no joke. The problem is he may have a lot more work to throw my way. We havent discussed that yet, but judging by the showroom hes building and the amount of advertising the company is doing for their launch, i envisage them being a major player in my area really soon. And if all goes well, I want the lions share of the tiling work he will have to offer.

So in short on a job like this should I be charging day rate (£150 per day), or pricing the job by the metre? Or a happy medium of the two? Considering his materials with the sealants, and cleaning products, adhesive and grout etc will be in the region of £500 it makes the job a little unrealistic. At 30m2 with the materials its nearly 5k. WOW!

So please can someone help? I have never quoted, or even thought I would get a sniff of a job like this as a new starter and I don't know where to start. domestic stuff, no problem. As an aside, I am prepared to give him materials at cost, no additions, I dont think I need squeeze with this kind of opportunity....Topps tiles will have to special order my adhesive lol, they only keep 28 20kg bags in stock, I need 30, that gives you an idea of the magnatude of this job to me.

I figure on laying 25m2 per day, so thats 6 days laying + a day for cuts, the room is pretty square. Plus a further 3 days, for cleaning and sealing at each end of the job, and a further 1.5 days for grouting and cleaning also. I am timescaling on the generous side, but better to be safe than sorry.

So all you tile gurus, please assist. And again sorry for the long monster post, and THANKS IN ADVANCE

The Tile Man

G

grumpygrouter

I have not worked with slate yet but from what I have read, it can be difficult. They quite often need grading and as such time consuming. I may be wrong but maybe 6 days for 140m2 for laying might be a little ambitious. If you are going to need labour, you also need to factor that into your price, your £30m2 doesn't then look to expensive. Beware of cutting your own throat.

If you are confident that you can do a first class job, charge accordingly. You have already got some sort of approval form the guy for your previous work. If he thought you weren't any good or too expensive he would have gone elsewhere.

Keep us inofrmed.:thumbs_up:

Grump

C

Cools71

Thanks Grump, I would like to thank you for that. especially for the bit about the grading. Equally this will be the first time I will have worked with slate too. Bring it on I say. I had never layed wooden floor until I developed my first property in London, now i do a better job that the fellers that charge £40m2 - I am confident, more so after joining this forum!

I would still like a couple of other tile gurus to give input also, especially with ones with slate experience....Pretty please :)

Cools mate..are you sure you are ready for work of such magnitude ?

You never know until you try. I believe in the deep end theory, sink or swim. I have never sunk yet, and I dont intend to. At the end of the day the first job I ever did was a complete bathroom in porcelain, complete with holes and all. Took me a weekend, with perfectly matching bath front, and perfect gaps lined up for walls and floor in the same tile size, all with a hired wet saw from hss - and that was a dog bit of kit copmpared to my brute!. The laying I can handle, i hope lol

I would however like a little more help with the quoting side of things, thats the bit I am not all that sure of.

Last edited by a moderator:

CJ

TF
Arms
Somerset
It has already been mentioned the grading of the slate. Also grouting and cleaning will take longer due to the fact slate is a pain to clean............allow more time, if anything, over estimate on time. Also you may consider using Bal PTB if un-graded slate.

Also slate sealer.............approx 20metres per Litre.......at Topps Trade price is gonna cost £140..........don't forget to take that into account.

So..........If it was me..........I would be looking at charging £35-£40
Or........get them to supply ALL materials, then rethink ya labour price.

Have fun.......Good luck.........And take pic's

C

Cools71

Thankyou Gents, much appreciated information.

I have already priced the materials at over £500 for the job, and I got a better then trade rate for the cleaners and sealants, as well as free delivery from Topps for the heavy stuff.

From the replies I am thinking 2 weeks on the generous side/probably nearly 3, with a labourer. getting a relaible one will be problematic, but I think the job is within me.

I think I will quote him at just under going rate considering the reasonably square room, and the fact that I want more work from his business. If I get £3.5k for 2 weeks work I will be a happy man. I just hope he cant get his hands on any more Polish fellers! No insults intended.

Wish me luck with my quote, after all he can still say no! (hopes and prays he doesn't)

Cheers again

The Tile Man

A

alastair68

cools good luck mate.Just go for it.i was on the same course at NETT with you.I have just thrown myself in at the deep end and gone for it - as darren said it is a steep learning curve and we need to go through this to be damn good at our job - even at our age!I am having similar experiences but it is going well with a busy diary cant say better than that!
I would listen to the guys on here though i dont know where i would have been without them.Take it easy!

Reply to Floor Tile Shinaigans...The reprise...And a monster post, sorry! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I need advice on score and snap cutting of large porcelain tiles, lets say, over 1000 mm long...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Floor Tile Shinaigans...The reprise...And a monster post, sorry!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.