Discuss Floor tiles on chipboard floor in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

B

Bennyboy76

Hi all

I'm hoping you can give me a steer on this one.

I have a 10-year old townhouse with the kitchen on the 1st floor. The builders (numptys that they were) laid the kitchen floor tiles staright onto chipboard. Yep, you guessed it, numerous lose and broken tiles 10yrs later.

Am in the process of getting quotes for new kitchen but want to ensure that I am getting the right work undertaken re the floor, or indeed doing the right prep. myself. I've already learned that asking a kitchen fitter for his advice re tiling won't get me the correct answer but before I approach a tiler I want to be sure on what the correct course of action is so I can make sure I'm not being told rubbish.

There is some deflection in the floor, although I've not looked at how far apart the joists are, I am guessing/hoping that Wimpey built the house with them the right space between them given that it's only 10yrs old? Most of the tiles that have cracked have done so I think because they have come away from the chipboard as it has moved over time.

So, questions for you guys if I could please:-

1. Is it ok to overlay the existing chipboard or best to take it up and replace with ply screwed directly onto the joists? From what I've seen of the floor it looks to be in reasonable nick - no flood damage etc.
2. If overlaying, best to use marine ply or one of the tile backer board products thats out there?
3. If ply, what depth?
4. If backerboard, what depth and make do you suggest?
5. If overlaying, do I screw the ply through the chipboard and into the joists or just into the chip? I've heard differing stories on this one so just want to check. For me just screwing into the chip is better as I don't have to locate all of the joists underneath...
6. If ply - do i need to leave expansion gaps around the edges and also between each sheet of ply? Size of any gaps?
7. Will the ply stop/reduce the deflection sufficiently? Not done the glass of water test yet but I can definitely see that it gives a bit.
8. Am thinking 60x60 polished porcelain tiles - not certain if that makes a difference of not to the recomendations from you guys.
9. Any appropriate descriptions for the original builders would also help please ;-)

Fortunately, in helping me with the above, you can rest assured that your advice will be put to great use as I also have a 2nd floor bathroom and ensuite to do due to the same issue.

Thanks in advance all

Ben

Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Ceramico tiling

noggins spread the deflective force to a larger area on the floor.So instead of the single joist deflecting,, noggins tie that joist to the others more effectively.They also prevent the plywood from deflecting(when a big fat person stands on it) as it is supported more effectively.For them to be most effective cut them 1mm bigger than the spacings between the joists and force them in all in.This will tension all the joists up nicely.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Floor tiles on chipboard floor in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm planning on tiling my porch, and the tiles and adhesive will take up around 13mm of height...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
hello Folks, its a tiny area. 1.8 m2. Joists are solid 3 inch wide. Area is upstairs close to...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB