Discuss Floor tiles Under bath edge and boxing? in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

D

DazJWood

I apologise if this has asked before because I'm sure it must have been but I have searched through the threads and couldn't find a similar question.

I am putting down marble tiles in my bathroom. Currently there is nothing in my bathroom as yet. Plan is to screw down 6mm Hardiebacker board on to the 18mm WBP plywood that I am in the process of putting down. (Ideally I'd have wanted to put down slightly thicker but due to the way the original floorboards had to come up I have had to remove some under a partition wall meaning I had to put back the same size.). The floor has been substantially re-enforced with extra noggins where the marble floor will be placed.

Anyway, I plan to have the sink unit and toilet installed on top of the marble floor as is the usual practise. My question concerns the bath, shower cubicle and waste pipe boxing.

Should I allow the marble floor to slightly run under the bath, therefore, when I build the support frame to screw a bath panel to it will sit on top of the floor.

Equally should I fit the marble floor slightly under where my waste pipes run so the boxing can be installed on top?

My quadrant shower cubicle will be sitting on top of a plinth so I have access to the waste if I need to. I was going to fit either plastic trim or a tiled bit of flexible mdf to cover the front of the plinth. Would it be an idea again to run the marble floor slightly under the plinth so that the trim would sit on top?

I imagine it's common practise to do either (under baths or upto baths, etc...). I was just thinking it may look better having the tiles run under the bath, cubicle plinth and boxing.

I appreciate any thoughts,

Thanks in advance,

Daz

D

DazJWood

Thanks for your responses.

what ever you do don't tile mdf its a big no no use plaster board backer board same as boxing dont use ply or wood unless you over board it always tile under bath panels shower base panels unless they are tiled make sure you have left enough height once tiled

I was only considering the flexible mdf for the front of the shower plinth as it's a curved quadrant. Plasterboard or backerboard doesn't come in any variety I've seen that is flexible. How would you accomplish the curve?

I was going to use tile backer board for the panel and tile over that but I was thinking of using plywood for the boxing. Why is this a bad idea?

Thanks,

Daz

P

Perry

Thanks for your responses.

I was only considering the flexible mdf for the front of the shower plinth as it's a curved quadrant. Plasterboard or backerboard doesn't come in any variety I've seen that is flexible. How would you accomplish the curve?

I was going to use tile backer board for the panel and tile over that but I was thinking of using plywood for the boxing. Why is this a bad idea?

Thanks,

Daz
wood doesn't like tile adhesive plaster board or backer board loves it cutting v groves in the back of plaster board or using a more suitable material than tiles

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DazJWood

wood doesn't like tile adhesive plaster board or backer board loves it cutting v groves in the back of plaster board or using a more suitable material than tiles

I'm afraid I didn't really understand that sentence.

If plywood isn't suitable why is it used as a substrate for flooring? I was going to box in plywood. I thought that this would be fine to use.

Thanks,

Daz

P

Perry

I'm afraid I didn't really understand that sentence.

If plywood isn't suitable why is it used as a substrate for flooring? I was going to box in plywood. I thought that this would be fine to use.

Thanks,

Daz[/QUO
you can use anything you want but i would use pasterboard on the boxing stick a tile to a small piece of ply and to a piece of plasterboard then come back to me tell me what you think

R

Ronski

...... Plasterboard or backerboard doesn't come in any variety I've seen that is flexible. How would you accomplish the curve?.....

I know this is an old thread, but plasterboard does bend, just depends how tight the radius is and how long you got.

Lean a bit of plasterboard against a wall at a 45 degree angle with a bit of weight in the middle and it will bend, but takes time.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Floor tiles Under bath edge and boxing? in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB