Discuss Floor tiles will not come up in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

Y

Yooj

I am having real problems taking up some floor tiles...
I have ceramic floor tiles in the bathroom, put down by the previous owner, who was a bit of a bodger in terms of DIY...He has laid the floor tiles on MDF (around 15mm depth board)...He appears to have used a decent floor tile adhesive, as the tiles are a real ***** to get up.
I am currently using a cold chisel and a lump hammer as my SDS is not touching them...
The real problem is that the MDF is breaking up using the chisel, and it is just absorbing too much energy from the hammer, and as such the it is taking an age.
Anyone have any better ideas of how to get these up?
One thing I am looking at is just removing a channel of tile over the joists to expose the screws attaching the board onto the joist, and then using my circular saw to try to get the boards, tiles and all up, section by section...but this will be a real ball ache, as there is a maze of pipework under the floor, and I really want to avoid this is possible.
Thanks in advance.
Yooj

S

Scott

Yep sounds like rubber crumb. I had this and SDS and hammer chisel doesnt work as it absorbs all the impact and vibration into the adhesive. I had an 6mt floor to do and it took 2 of us almost 2 days.

If you can find any of the screws he used to fix the MDF down then see if he did it in a grid. Mine was really lucky as whoever laid the floor put screws at exactly 200mm centres. I had to smash through the tiles and undo the screws then run a circular saw through a grout joint and cut the floor into sections. I tried to jemmy the floor up but pulled up the floor boards as well so dont go to gung ho trying to lift it incase you damage a pipe etc.

Y

Yooj

...He advised me to use 'elbow grease' and I asked who stocked it:lol:

I believe the product is still available!

Quick update (apologies for taking time to update, been busy)...

However, in the end I used timeless john's advice (well his uncle's anyway), and just got really stuck in...It took another whole day, and most of the MDF came up with it, though it was being replaced with WBP anyway, so no great shakes...Man I do not want to see another of those floors anytime soon.

Cheers for all the advice.

Yooj

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Floor tiles will not come up in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm planning on tiling my porch, and the tiles and adhesive will take up around 13mm of height...
Replies
Views
450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB