Discuss Floor tiling advice please! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

pablo79

Hi all. My first post here so be kind!

I'm looking to tile my kitchen diner and rear porch in the same tiles. The floor is solid... under food it feels like concrete and is as sold as a rock with no movement, but upon lifting the carpet it looks like there's chipboard or another type of board.

My question is, can I tile directly onto this? The porch is already tiled in fact, and, considering its height, doesn't seem to have anything underneath it like plywood. It's been down for 13 years and as no cracks in tile or grout, so the floor is solid.

Also, what type of adhesive would I need?

Many thanks,
pablo

R

Rookery

Many thanks for the information guys. This is all very helpful!

So, I would be able to tile this area if this ditra membrane was applied first? That sounds like a straightforward solution.

I'm keen to do the project myself, but I want to make sure I don't mess it up so everyone's advice here is invaluable. Thank you!
Ditra or other uncoupling membranes will not prevent cracks & failures in a poorly prepared floor. You need to determine the floor construction and then come back to us for further guidance.

P

pablo79

Sounds like bison block & beam floor type with insulation plus chipboard on top. So a floating floor then.

Thanks for that. What does this mean for me? Can I simply apply a membrane like Ditra and then tile on to that, or will I need to put some ply or backer board down. I really don't want to increase the height by much!

Thanks again for all the info guys.

There's been a few floating floor threads in the past, no doubt you've read a few of them - the advice is always along the lines of 'Don't tile it, 'cos its a floating floor'.

Because a Pro would be responsible for the prep, installation and the guarantee that it will last - so obviously its too risky, so 99% of folk give it a swerve. I wouldn't do a floater knowing that I might get a call in a few months time that will cost me more than I got paid for the job.

I doubt you're gonna get a definate answer, but, on this one, its your floor, your penny's, you're doing it, so its your decision?
You previously had it tiled - so you've already been convinced its safe.
You don't want to add height with anymore board
And I think you seem pretty sold on the Ditra idea...

P

pablo79

There's been a few floating floor threads in the past, no doubt you've read a few of them - the advice is always along the lines of 'Don't tile it, 'cos its a floating floor'.

Because a Pro would be responsible for the prep, installation and the guarantee that it will last - so obviously its too risky, so 99% of folk give it a swerve. I wouldn't do a floater knowing that I might get a call in a few months time that will cost me more than I got paid for the job.

I doubt you're gonna get a definate answer, but, on this one, its your floor, your penny's, you're doing it, so its your decision?
You previously had it tiled - so you've already been convinced its safe.
You don't want to add height with anymore board
And I think you seem pretty sold on the Ditra idea...

Thanks for the reply!

I'm certainly not sold. If the general consensus is that it's not possible then I won't do it. I guess I just want to understand the reasons for why it's not possible so I'm as best informed as I can be.

I've actually been looking into some slate-effect vinyl tiles. It would make the job a whole world easier, and some of the high-quality tiles look almost as good as the real thing. I don't mind spending a reasonable amount per sq/m to get the right effect. It'll be warmer under foot too.

So, not sold by any means. Just wanting to understand what options I have before taking the plunge in the next couple of weeks :)

P

pablo79

Update!

Right, I've just lifted the carpet again to have another look. The board on the ground is not chipboard, nor is it ply, or wood of any kind. I just had a dig at it to see if I can work out what it is...

It's incredibly dense (hence the solidness of the floor). It I dig at it it seems to have a cement or plaster like quality. I can dig a grove into it with a bit of force and a screwdriver. It's a browny colour. It's definitely not wood!

i think before anything else I need to establish exactly what this is. Any ideas anyone?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Floor tiling advice please! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I have a small kitchen with a floor area of 265cm x 140cm with the door recess adding another 20...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB