Discuss Floor Tiling Preperation in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kevg

Not long now till my new build is finished completely so I can finally move in. Until then I have been going around the show homes in a few different area's looking at some of the floor tiles that have been used in the various different sizes of rooms.

Nearly every room I went into didnt seem to be centered to me. I thought the rule of floor tiling was to get the center of the room then tile ? I have left a pic to show what I mean (center of room and one off center like the show homes) Sorry for the crudness of my diagram.

e.g.

bathrooms.jpg

Which one is correct ? The Left (centered) or the Right (off center) ?

T

Time's Ran Out

If it's a seperate room (not leading off to another) treat as one off and for me its 'what looks best' up to a point.
Are you follwing any wall tiling grout lines, will it leave slithers of tiles in viewable places etc.
Using a marking stick lay out your tiles with the 2/3mm joints and set out the floor area to show the position of each tile.
This way you will know where every tile will be/and how many tiles you'll need. When you get your tiles mix the number you require to give an even blend of different boxes. You should also check the calibration before fixing to see if your spacers will give you adequate tolerance in the joints.
What sub floor preparation has been done.

K

kevg

Centreing is just one method, the method i use mostly is a combination of avoiding small cuts and what looks good/best. are you tiling a bare bathroom or is the sanitaryware going to be in place? It's best and easier if everything is out, i mean WC, basin etc, not the bath though. btw what is the substrate?

Everything is in place unfortunately (But I'll remove it when tiling). Downstairs is concrete floor, and upstairs is ply, which I'll lay hardie backer or something on to it.

Reply to Floor Tiling Preperation in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Floor Tiling Preperation
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.