Discuss Fracking in Blackpool in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

Hmmm, seems to be a technique that quite old according to Wikipedia, used a lot in the states.

I'd like to see cheaper fuel, I could run a car and a motorbike then! I wouldn't be too keen on drinking water from the surrounding areas though sounds a bit Erin brochovich!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am totally reassured now.... :lol: .....
sick2.gif
not exactly guardian of the planet stuff, is it... what's wrong with people???
angry013.gif

E

enduro

Heard they have stopped fracking in Blackpool...they reckon it cause a small earthquake...lol

A major earthquake measuring 5.8 on the Richter scale hit in the early
hours of Monday 1st June 2011. Epicentre: Blackpool
Victims were seen wandering around aimless muttering "faaackin ell" .

The earthquake decimated the area causing approximately £30 worth of damage.
Several priceless collections of mementos from the Balearics and Spanish
Costa's were damaged beyond repair. Three areas of historic burnt out cars

were disturbed. Many locals were woken well before their giro arrived.

Blackpool FM (County Radio Station) reported that hundreds of residents were
confused and bewildered, still trying to come to terms with the fact that
something interesting had happened in Blackpool.

One resident - Tracy Sharon Smith, a 15-year-old mother of 5 said
"It was such a shock, my little Chardonnay-Mercedes came running into my
bedroom crying. My youngest two Tyler-Morgan and Megan-Storm slept through
it all. I was still shaking when I was watching Kilroy the next morning."

Apparently though, looting, muggings and car crime did carry on as normal.
The British Red Cross has so far managed to ship 4,000 crates of Sunny
Delight
to the area to help the stricken locals.

Rescue workers are still searching through the rubble and have found large
quantities of personal belongings, including benefit books, jewellery
from Elizabeth Duke at Argos and Bone China from Poundland.

HOW CAN YOU HELP?
This appeal is to raise money for food and clothing, parcels for those
unfortunate enough to be caught up in this disaster. Clothing is most
sought after, items most needed include:

Fila or Burberry baseball caps
Kappa tracksuit tops (his and hers)
Shell suits (female)
White sport socks
Rockport boots
Any other items usually sold in Primark.

Food parcels may be harder to come by, but are needed all the same.

Required foodstuffs include Microwave meals Tins of baked beans, Ice cream,

Cans of Colt 45 or Special Brew.
22p buys a biro for filling in the compensation forms,
£2 buys chips, crisps and blue fizzy drinks for a family of 9
£5 will pay for a packet of B&H and a lighter to calm the nerves of those
affected.

**Breaking news**

Rescue workers found a girl in the rubble smothered in Claret -'where are
you bleeding from?' they asked - "Blackpool" said the girl, "woss that got to
do with it?"

E

enduro

:lol: :lol: :lol: that was done about the floods in Hull, too... but seriously, about the fracking in Blackpool - has it been stopped?

Yes...they think it was the cause of a mini earthquake.

The quakes near Blackpool – magnitude 1.5 and 2.3 – caused no damage. Photograph: Graeme Robertson
A company using "fracking" to drill for gas in Lancashire has had to suspend operations following a 1.5 magnitude earthquake near Blackpool on Friday.
It is the second earthquake to strike Lancashire since April, and experts say it may be a result of the controversial practice, a process of drilling for natural shale gas which involves injecting water and rock-dissolving fluids underground at extremely high pressure to break apart hard shale rocks and release gas.
Cuadrilla Resources, the company carrying out the fracking at Preese Hall, Weeton, close to the Fylde coast, said it had suspended operations to examine data collected by the British Geological Survey before deciding whether it was safe to resume. Neither quake was large enough to cause any structural damage.
Mark Miller, the company's chief executive, said: "We take our responsibilities very seriously and that is why we have stopped fracking operations to share information and consult with the relevant authorities and other experts.
"We expect that this analysis and subsequent consultation will take a number of weeks to conclude and we will decide on appropriate actions after that."
Drilling is likely to be suspended for a long time as Cuadrilla investigates the cause of the quakes with the help of outside experts. The BGS said it could not say conclusively if the first earthquake, on 1 April, was linked to the fracking but the organisation's website stated: "Any process that injects pressurised water into rocks at depth will cause the rock to fracture and possibly produce earthquakes.
"It is well known that injection of water or other fluids during the oil extraction and geothermal engineering, such as shale gas, processes can result in earthquake activity."
The BGS said that last week's 1.5 magnitude earthquake was very similar to a larger 2.3 quake that centred on nearby Poulton-le-Fylde at the beginning of April. "It seems quite likely that they are related," said Brian Baptie, the survey's head of seismology. "The recorded waveforms are very similar to those from the magnitude 2.3 event last month, which suggests that the two events share a similar location and mechanism."
WWF Scotland has repeated its call for fracking to be banned, following news that a company was seeking permission for Scotland's first shale gas exploration at Aith, near Falkirk.
Its director, Dr Richard Dixon, said: "Whether the shale gas drilling and the earthquake are linked certainly needs investigated. However, we already know enough about the environmental problems associated with fracking to know that it should be banned in Scotland."
"Shale gas would be a disaster for the climate and its production could contaminate groundwater. Scotland should follow France's example and ban it before it even gets going. Scotland should become the home of clean energy not another dirty fossil-fuel. Shale gas projects in Scotland would quickly tarnish our global claim to green credentials."
Pollution fears

Fracking has been heavily criticised by environmentalists in the US, who say the process can end up polluting drinking water in the surrounding area. In a case l. Last year in Pennsylvania, a natural gas company was banned from drilling for at least a year because methane from a faulty well polluted drinking water.
This April, the New York Times reported that Congressional Democrats had found that "oil and gas companies injected hundreds of millions of gallons of hazardous or carcinogenic chemicals into wells in more than 13 states from 2005 to 2009". Despite this, a report last month by the Commons energy and climate change committee found there was no evidence that fracking was unsafe, saying a ban on shale gas drilling was not necessary in the UK as there was no evidence that it posed a risk to water supplies from underground aquifers. "There appears to be nothing inherently dangerous about the process of fracking itself and as long as the integrity of the well is maintained shale gas extraction should be safe," said Tim Yeo, the committee chairman

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
YES! It was on the BBC2 as I drove to the supermarket - boy, what a discussion that was! It didn't exactly sound a green way to go about things?? Sounded pretty mad to me ... I am watching the wind blowing here and the waves crashing in the North Bay and NO way all that power could not be utilised... why inject chemicals and blow things up beneath our feet?

because were humans and we like to smash things up:yikes:

Reply to Fracking in Blackpool in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
This cost of living crisis does not seem to be going away anytime soon and as we go into Winter...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I could use some help from everyone! The floor mosaic tile was recently retiled over a tile-redi...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Fracking in Blackpool
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.