Guest viewing is limited

Discuss French new to this forum , having question on very large tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

david campbell

absolutely no way should you use a ready mixed adhesive for a tile that size,there is little chance it will dry out for weeks even at the suggested trowel size of tubbed adhesive that is about 4mm,using tubbed adhesive here will never cure and shrinkage in turn putting the tiles in serious likeliness of simply falling off the walls.
sorry to be so blunt here but it's for your own safety:thumbsup:

B

Bolter

hi David,
yes definitely 33,33 x100cm to be precise. 10mm notched trowel it's what i have got , not sure about the cement based adhesive ? the one i've got is granfix multifix ready mix adhesive ,also do you guys think i should wait for the first rank to dry a bit before i start to tile the second one?

is that 1m in length? I wouldnt use the ready mixed mate.

If need to start by working out a level line round the room, and work it out so that the cut tiles are even, or at least look good. Draw this line round the room. Its called a datum line.

Next fix a wooden baton one row off the floor (fix the bottom row later) and start tiling off that. Use spacers, and work your way up to the ceiling. Spread adhesive on the wall, not the back of the tile, and for extra coverage, maybe back butter (skim a thin layer of adhesive with the flat part of the trowel) on the back of the tile.

Good luck, and please ask for anything else. :thumbsup:

S

superteo01

thanks for the advises , much apreciated really. the ready mix adhesive feel very sticky , and the bloke at the tile shop was 100% it will do the job . but some says it's ok some says not so i am confused.com! :bigcry: did somebody used this make and model of ready mix before on large tiles?
i went for this as i am not sure i can mix a powder cement base properly myself! bloody french !
thanks for your advises so far.
christophe

S

superteo01

yep , you guys are more than right , i went to the granfix website ans it says,"
Apply an additional layer of adhesive to tiles with deep studs
to cover the studs [​
never attempt to fix porcelain tiles
greater than 300mm x 300mm with Multifix
]. Remove

any surplus adhesive whilst it is still wet.
so , first thing tomorrow morning i bring it back to the tile shop. could somebody recomend a brand or type of product that will be suitable for this kind of job?

Many thanks

B

Bolter

yep , you guys are more than right , i went to the granfix website ans it says,"
Apply an additional layer of adhesive to tiles with deep studs
to cover the studs [​
never attempt to fix porcelain tiles
greater than 300mm x 300mm with Multifix
]. Remove

any surplus adhesive whilst it is still wet.
so , first thing tomorrow morning i bring it back to the tile shop. could somebody recomend a brand or type of product that will be suitable for this kind of job?

Many thanks

WEBER, Bal, Ardex, Biscem, Dunlop. There are loads, but you want to get a flexi cement based adhesive. Get it in white, because if you use grey, you may get grey joints unless you work clean, and with a sponge!

i went for this as i am not sure i can mix a powder cement base properly myself! bloody french !

christophe

Get a bucket and follow instructions as is written on the bag.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to French new to this forum , having question on very large tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
As an introduction, I'm a DIY home owner who has gutted the bathroom in a house built in 1980...
Replies
Views
Tony R
T
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
French new to this forum , having question on very large tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.