UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Gap on non square wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
You're unbelievable. Talk about passive aggressive. BAL WhiteStar IS perfectly acceptable for fixing GLASS mosaic. As per BAL'S TECHNICAL SHEET which I have already posted.Regarding the 10mm (approximately, but looks smaller) gap at the top of the wall, why don't we ask the OP to take a photo once the job is completed. You never know, the tiler that YOU are accusing of being unprofessional and a cowboy may actually be able to silicone and may make the job look superb.If you're not willing to take this offline and talk to me, then don't bother posting publically any more. I wash my hands with you. Just be warned. You may take great delight rubbishing tilers on here, but what goes around comes around. Show some respect, otherwise no one will have any sympathy with you when your turn comes to be torn apart by keyboard warriors. Bye.

You're so intent in arguing with someone you've missed all the finer details.

I intially said it was poor prep. I believe in fact it's very poor, because it would suggest to me that the tiler hasn't put a level anywhere near the wall before starting to set out. That's if any setting out has been done at all. I think if it's confirmed he's started a full sheet from the left hand side then it's safe to assume no setting out was done at all. If that was the case would you suggest that's the work of a professional? To not even check your levels or plan your work? Seriouslly??

But as Doug quite rightly mentioned i never answered the OPs original question. I now have done.

It was you who started arguing. Ok, maybe i shouldn't of refered to the tiler as not a professional in my first post. I apologise. But since that first post on what basis would you disagree after discussion?

All i have then stated is my observations and opinion. Using whatever technical and professional knowledge i have to hand. Now if you thoroughly looked at the data sheet for white star and not just the first page you would read that it is not recommended for bed depths more than 3mm. It is clear to my eye and please tell me if i'm wrong here but the tiler has used a 6x6 square notch trowel. Would the "25 year guarantee" you quote still stand if the max bed depth was ignored?
Staying on the technical sheet. You're right it does not say white star is unsuitable for glass. It doesn't say it is either. Now i have confirmed since you started arguing with BAL technical and indeed they would NOT recommend white star for fixing glass mosaics. They would recommend BAL Mosaicfix BAL Adhesives - Products - mosaic-fix
Now, please please please click on the data sheet on that website and read it. Under recommendations it states "including glass". It didn't state that on the other data sheet did it?
I have never stated that walls are perfect, infact in my posts i've said there is not such a thing.

So yes prehaps i jumped the gun in my first post saying he wasn't a professional due to poor prep. However, i'll stand by it and ask you would you say a "professional" would ignore planning his work, not set out, not use a level use the wrong materials for the job and use the wrong materials incorrectly? Or am i right?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Divad

You're so intent in arguing with someone you've missed all the finer details.I intially said it was poor prep. I believe in fact it's very poor, because it would suggest to me that the tiler hasn't put a level anywhere near the wall before starting to set out. That's if any setting out has been done at all. I think if it's confirmed he's started a full sheet from the left hand side then it's safe to assume no setting out was done at all. If that was the case would you suggest that's the work of a professional? To not even check your levels or plan your work? Seriouslly?? But as Doug quite rightly mentioned i never answered the OPs original question. I now have done.It was you who started arguing. Ok, maybe i shouldn't of refered to the tiler as not a professional in my first post. I apologise. But since that first post on what basis would you disagree after discussion?All i have then stated is my observations and opinion. Using whatever technical and professional knowledge i have to hand. Now if you thoroughly looked at the data sheet for white star and not just the first page you would read that it is not recommended for bed depths more than 3mm. It is clear to my eye and please tell me if i'm wrong here but the tiler has used a 6x6 square notch trowel. Would the "25 year guarantee" you quote still stand if the max bed depth was ignored?Staying on the technical sheet. You're right it does not say white star is unsuitable for glass. It doesn't say it is either. Now i have confirmed since you started arguing with BAL technical and indeed they would NOT recommend white star for fixing glass mosaics. They would recommend BAL Mosaicfix BAL Adhesives - Products - mosaic-fixNow, please please please click on the data sheet on that website and read it. Under recommendations it states "including glass". It didn't state that on the other data sheet did it?I have never stated that walls are perfect, infact in my posts i've said there is not such a thing.So yes prehaps i jumped the gun in my first post saying he wasn't a professional due to poor prep. However, i'll stand by it and ask you would you say a "professional" would ignore planning his work, not set out, not use a level use the wrong materials for the job and use the wrong materials incorrectly? Or am i right?
I bet you £5,000 that if you post up a photo of your work I will point out something that could be better. £5,000. NO JOB IS PERFECT. Not even YOURS.

Last edited by a moderator:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I bet you £5,000 that if you post up a photo of your work I will point out something that could be better. £5,000. NO JOB IS PERFECT. Not even YOURS.

Feel free to browse my website's gallery. Here's a link:Gallery | | allistergage.comallistergage.com

When you spot a 10mm grout line let me know. I don't believe i have ever stated that my work is perfect, i'm the next best thing though ;)
I'd be interested to hear your feedback though. If i thought any of my work was substandard would i have a website advertised in the signature of this forum? I think not.

G

Gazzer

Ah. Incredible how people can get at the end of a keyboard.

Having just read this, then checked the White Star spec for myself - "not suitable for some non-porous tiles" (i.e. glass - you were right Ali)

What did the NZ tiler hope to gain with his tirade?

Can admin remove irrelevant material from posts? How did this argument actually help the original poster?

NZ Tiler ????

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Gap on non square wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Have a question about how/when best to install tile trim - probably quite basic! One...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.