Discuss GBBO - Anybody tried this? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
My duaghters website is done through this - it is completely free but limited in terms of picture uploads and the like. She wanted to set up gallerys of her photo work but ran out of space. The catch, if you call it a catch as you get a choice in the matter, is that she gets occasional calls from reps asking if she wants to upgrade it to get more hits and to allow more upload space.

Would be good to get it optimised but as she is not yet selling anything it seems a bit of a waste of money at the moment.

If you want a look here is the link

Faetography

A

Ant

Hi Everyone

It is definately a good thing!

I registered for this via GBBO and got my free domain (www.agtiling.co.uk), no '.whatever' bit inbetween.

You then create your site via Google Sites.

I first registered about 4 weeks ago, and have been adding and creating it ever since via Google Sites. Take a look at my site, not bad for free. I'm not bad at simple design programs, so that helps. If you want any help on it ask or PM me.

Also, type 'Tiler in Oldham' in google. You'll see i appear a few times on 1st page, with my actual site about 5th in the list and 2nd only to MH Tiler in actual tilers websites. I'm pretty happy about that. I think I achieved this by adding my details to loads of free business listings sites (Yell, UKBusinessDirectory.com, etc) and also kept my descriptions the same on each one, with 'tiler in Oldham' quoted once a twice in the text. Another thing i think i read is Google give you a 'honeymoon' period of about 1 month where you perform well in searches. Not sure if thats true but fingers crossed i stay up there.

I'm now working on 'tiler in Manchester/Rochdale/Ashton/etc' see if i can do better in them.

So, GBBO is great and free! From what i understand, you get the domain and hosting free for 2 years, then have the OPTION to carry on paid after that. Think it is government funded too.

Cheers

Ant:thumbsup:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
My duaghters website is done through this - it is completely free but limited in terms of picture uploads and the like. She wanted to set up gallerys of her photo work but ran out of space. The catch, if you call it a catch as you get a choice in the matter, is that she gets occasional calls from reps asking if she wants to upgrade it to get more hits and to allow more upload space.

Would be good to get it optimised but as she is not yet selling anything it seems a bit of a waste of money at the moment.

If you want a look here is the link

Faetography

Alan,

If your daughter owns her domain name, and has control of it, let me know and I'll knock up a blog system (that works like a website) that she can edit herself still, and I'll optimise it, and give her some advice on what she needs to rank for to get the traffic she needs (the buyers). I'll do it all FOC for you/her. She'll just need to keep on top of her domain name renewals ever 1 or 2 years (whatever she's opted for) which is about a fiver plus VAT for 2 years.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Another thing i think i read is Google give you a 'honeymoon' period of about 1 month where you perform well in searches. Not sure if thats true but fingers crossed i stay up there.

Well done mate!

It has been said loads of times that Google gives new websites a honeymoon period. But the issue I personally have with that is the fact that your content is new, therefore unique to Google, and Google likes that and ranks it. Websites only start to drop if they're not updated often (monthly-ish - tilersforums is updated on average every minute! - and a fresh new topic can often be ranked #1 within minutes of it being created as a result) so what you need to do is keep adding content, unique stuff (to you AND your area if it's an area you want to keep ranked for) and also keep link-building. If you add one new link to your website every day for the first month, and every few days then-on, you'll be laughing.

Just don't spam too much within your pages. Once you're ranking, just add content, not more "tiler in xxxxxx".

B

b30 villain

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
C

carlito

Had mine up and running for a couple of months now. If I'm not wrong it is a government initiative to help get British businesses on-line. I don't see anything wrong with it.Feel free to take a look. Its at the bottom of my reply. Still a bit of work for me to do to bring my site up to where I'd like it to be but Free for 2 years suits me fine.

Also people after seven months of training i have just completed my C& G level 2 wall and floor tiling. I've learnt a lot from you guys on this site so would like to give you all a lot of credit! Cheers Top lads & lasses!

M

mikethetile

Ive had one of these for several months now and havent developed it, if Im honest its becouse I dont know how, Ive taken some pics of my work but they are still on my camera. Ive had several jobs off of it and it sits on the front page on google places , when work starts to ease up I will have another go at it. the only thing I didnt like was the templates and went back to the default as it was the least offensive but I understand you can replace the background with a photo so I will have to do that, but for the money [nil] I cant complain

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to GBBO - Anybody tried this? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi all, just like I wrote in the introduction I’ve been lurking in this forum for quite some...
Replies
Views
O
    • Winner
    • Informative
So as a couple of you may be aware, @Simon Dale his daughter Katrina, and myself are on a...
Replies
Views
L
D
Right, BT want to charge me £30 for terminating my broadband contract. The trouble is, we've not...
Replies
Views
Colour Republic
C

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Staffordshire, UK
Website
https://www.tilersforums.co.uk
What member type are you?
  1. DIY Wall and Floor Tiler
Business Name
Ekthetikos / untold.media

Thread Information

Title
GBBO - Anybody tried this?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.