Discuss Gday all! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tiledweeb

Hello all :thumbsup:,you all probably know why im here...yet another inexperienced diy'er :grinningelf: trying to save a few bob on doing my bathroom myself...turns out i just have the bathroom from hell!!!:yikes: Its an early council house with some shockingly bad work done in the past! and i reckon is gonna prove a bit of a money pit...so after trawling the net for advice i read so many different opinions i am confused,i figured the best place to come and ask advice was here:hurray: and as i should be taking piccys throughout i can keep everyone updated and who knows other newbies/amateurs may pick up some advice from my posts along the way,so here i am cap in hand...tail between the legs...most of the gear and no idea lol.

I myself am 32 years old and work as a plant operator and im on a 1 man mission to rid my wife,my 3 kids,my cat and my tropical fish of the bathroom from hell :lol:
I will get a few posts/piccys up shortly and would like to thank everyone in advance firstly for taking the time to read this introduction and any advice you may give in the future and if like me you are "taking on" your own project then good luck!

T

tiledweeb

Hi again,thanks for all the replys so far :thumbsup: I will explain the piccys...The walls substrate is a mixture of stuff(getting technical now) a little like a patchwork quilt! there are four walls(no way sherlock:drool5:) one is in need of a rebuild it is an aircrete/thermablock wall which has been put in at a later date...on this wall the render and skim has completely blown away from the block work the wall sounds hollow and crunches below the surface when you press it there is a total failure of the bonding and to top it off the wall bows slightly and the thermablocks can be wiggled with your finger where they have been exposed.
It is my intention to remove this wall and build a stud wall between kitcen and bathroom but as yet a little unsure of exactly what board to use(aquapanel bathroom side? moistureproof plasterboard kitchen side?) This wall also butts onto a rear porch approx 1m2 constructed of the same material also on that the render is slightly loose and the actual skim coat is bumpy as,the porch areas purpose was to provide two doors between bath and kitchen,as i understand you no longer have to have two doors between...so the whole porch construction may go also as the constuction of it is awful too with cracks bumps and 3x2 baton for lintels that dont even sit on anything or are embedded into the blockwork on both sides.
The remaining 3 walls are mostly of a lime? and horsehair plaster with lumps of chalk thrown in for good measure! the plaster is still adhered to the walls quite well but in places is patchy where the enamel like paint has come away it also crumbles easy when you scratch it! The enamal paint does not look too bad but flakes after a couple of weeks.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Gday all! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hope everyone is well. I'm after some advice please. I'm currently having my bathroom tiled...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Gday all!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.