UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss g'day and some advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

sthandy

The forum said I should say hello here seeing it's my first post so , g'day. I've got a wee conundrum. Friends have asked me to tile their newly laid slab that's mostly an undercover area. It's 82sqm and they have bought 400x400x20mm granite tiles. I've not laid granite before. The friends saw the display which shows the tiles butted up together and they are expecting this is how the layout will look. I spoke to my favoured tile shop and the owner and he reckoned that the granite we're seeing over here is not rectified and the usual grout line might be as big as 10mm. I don't think the friends or ,me for that matter, like the idea of a g/l that big. I spoke to the landscape supplies where they purchased the tiles and the importer provides no specs (apparently the tiles are from India), so they were none the wiser on recommending a g/l. I measured a couple of tiles while I was there and they weren't uniform varied between 398-400 and didn't check square. Oh, I should have said the shipment has not reached our shores yet so can't check them. I could either back out of the job or just see what they're like when they arrive and work from that. I was hoping for something more like 3mm. Any feedback on this?

Also the slab is maybe 2 months old and the concretor told them it wouldn't need an acid wash before tiling, just use bondcrete before the adhesive so they laid grass right up to the slab. I've always acid washed before tiling but I can't really do that now without killing some grass. Be OK you think? The slab is nice and flat so should be simple enough.

I generally use keraflex but I wonder if I can use keraset for this job? and I suppose a 10mm notched trowel?

Oh, one other thing, can I use the standard bridge type tile saw for granite and do I need a special blade eg segmented or is continuous OK?

Cheers and many thanks
Michael

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to g'day and some advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.