Discuss Get Back Into Tiling ? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Although I've been a member for a little while I have just started reading through different posts on various topics.

I just really wanted to say what a brilliant forum this is. I'm impressed that so many tilers take the time to go into so much detail about everything. You can learn a lot just reading through what members have put on here.

I worked as a trainee tiler 11 years ago and did it for three years. Then left to go into a different business for better money! After 3 years tiling I still didn't feel anywhere close to being a pro tiler like the men I had learned from but have always kept my tools and done jobs for friends and family over the years. I am now at the age of 27 seriously considering getting back into it. I mainly worked on building sites for the likes of Persimmon Homes, Miller etc. I'm thinking of going to work with a tiler for free when I get the chance like weekends etc as I need to build up my confidence and still feel nervous setting out tricky floors and certain other things. I would do this for about a year or until I feel ready. Then I'd leave my job, buy everything that I need. Get a part time job on the weekend for maybe 16 hours a week to tide me over and literally put everything into making it work. I know it will be a hard journey I have read the posts from new tilers on here and heard the stories. But with time and patience I'm confident I could do it. I want to ask the self employed tilers on here. In your opinion is it worth the sacrifice ? How long did it take you to get enough work to earn enough ? How many of you work weekends ? Do you make enough during busy spells to cover the quiet periods ? Do you feel good working for yourself and leaving people happy ? What is the best way to get work ? How many hours do you put in on average ?

Any answers to this post will be greatly appreciated. I just can't get this idea out of my head of being completely independent and doing something fulfilling for a living. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Joe

S

StevieBoy

Welcome along Joe.

It's highly commendable when someone your age pops up and genuinely wants to learn a trade. It's like anything in life, you only get out what you put in so for me, yes it was definitely worth the sacrifice.
The hardest thing for me at the beginning was going from a job where I had a regular weekly wage going into the bank to having to wait for builders to pay etc 3, 4, 5 and sometimes even up to 6 weeks, so make sure if you go full on you have some money behind you.
I never had to worry about getting enough work, as I was really, really lucky in that my father in law at the time, was an established tiler for 30 years before, so he took me under his wing and taught me the trade for which I am still learning now after all this time, so I just went from job to job with him.
That stopped a few years ago now, as he retired so then for a while the work did take more finding.
Sometimes it is nice to think I've laid 80m2 this week and earned £xxxx's, but I never think like that. I look at the overall figure at the end of the year as you can earn good money one week, then not so the next.
Do I feel good working for myself? Yes of course, sure sometimes it would be nice to have a mate to talk to etc but if you're on your own, you can only blame yourself if it goes wrong and you only have yourself to look after - if your in a partnership you need a lot of work to make it viable.
Best way to get work? Well you need to be confident you can actually do the job to start with.

Firstly always do a good job, as you would want it to be in your own house.
Most of my work is personal reccomendation, which is great.

Secondly, Advertise but look carefully at costs first.
Thirdly, try dropping cards in at sites

Hours, for me usually 8.00am upto 4.00pm at the latest - earlier if and when I can.

It's a good trade all in all, but you never stop learning - oh and your body will be shot by the time your 50

Welcome along Joe.

It's highly commendable when someone your age pops up and genuinely wants to learn a trade. It's like anything in life, you only get out what you put in so for me, yes it was definitely worth the sacrifice.
The hardest thing for me at the beginning was going from a job where I had a regular weekly wage going into the bank to having to wait for builders to pay etc 3, 4, 5 and sometimes even up to 6 weeks, so make sure if you go full on you have some money behind you.
I never had to worry about getting enough work, as I was really, really lucky in that my father in law at the time, was an established tiler for 30 years before, so he took me under his wing and taught me the trade for which I am still learning now after all this time, so I just went from job to job with him.
That stopped a few years ago now, as he retired so then for a while the work did take more finding.
Sometimes it is nice to think I've laid 80m2 this week and earned £xxxx's, but I never think like that. I look at the overall figure at the end of the year as you can earn good money one week, then not so the next.
Do I feel good working for myself? Yes of course, sure sometimes it would be nice to have a mate to talk to etc but if you're on your own, you can only blame yourself if it goes wrong and you only have yourself to look after - if your in a partnership you need a lot of work to make it viable.
Best way to get work? Well you need to be confident you can actually do the job to start with.

Firstly always do a good job, as you would want it to be in your own house.
Most of my work is personal reccomendation, which is great.

Secondly, Advertise but look carefully at costs first.
Thirdly, try dropping cards in at sites

Hours, for me usually 8.00am upto 4.00pm at the latest - earlier if and when I can.

It's a good trade all in all, but you never stop learning - oh and your body will be shot by the time your 50

Thanks StevieBoy. It would take me a while before I could do anywhere near 80m2 in a week. That's impressive in my opinion. When I do a job it takes me at least twice as long as it would've taken the tilers I used to work with and I had seen much faster tilers than them. This is because I deliberately take my time as not to put myself under any pressure. I also tell whoever I'm doing the job for that I'm not fast as I don't do it every day. But let me tell you I take no chances. I double check everything and put everything I know into every job. I usually end up sweating buckets, bleeding, covered in adhesive with sores all over my body - especially on floors. Last time the straps off my cheapy knee pads caused pain for about a week after I'd finished. But despite walking away like a torture victim I feel good soaking in my hot bath knowing that I did a good job and didn't settle for less. It's strange because I never really enjoyed whilst I was working as a trainee but now I love doing a job. I actually look forward to them. I want that job satisfaction full time. Thanks for the advice.

Hey Joe,
Welcome to the forum!
As far as earning potential goes, I suppose early on u may have to put in the extra hours, I know I did when I was learning, but once you're fairly competent, you don't need to do any more hours than anyone else.
Making a living on 40 hrs a week isn't really a problem.
Depending on your lifestyle of course haha

I agree in the beginning I'm willing to do what has to be done to get to were I want to be. It's an admiral thing to be working for yourself and making it independently. Nothing comes easy though. Appreciate your advice. Cheers.

O

Old Mod

Once your legs get used to it, you'll be like me in the summer months - tiling in your shorts!

surprised-038.gif

U

Unused Account 1

I went to college at 33 to do tiling ,but went with an amazing tiler 2to 3 days a week also for free to get the best of both worlds,ive been busy for 13 out of the fourteen years ,i had a year travelling now just geetting back to work now ,good luck stick in ,the lads on here will keep you right ,work hard,do a good job,and take in as much knowledge as you can

I went to college at 33 to do tiling ,but went with an amazing tiler 2to 3 days a week also for free to get the best of both worlds,ive been busy for 13 out of the fourteen years ,i had a year travelling now just geetting back to work now ,good luck stick in ,the lads on here will keep you right ,work hard,do a good job,and take in as much knowledge as you can
Thanks, this forum is great for gaining knowledge. Everything I've searched for I've found a thread on! I think I'm gonna go for it.

Hi Joe

Sounds like my experience, I started tiling when I left school with a bathrooms company but they went bust and I didn't have enough training to start on my own, so I did other work for a few years then got back into the tiling full time for the last few years again.
It was hard work at first trying to get enough work and making ends meet, but as folk have said just make sure you do a good job, take your time, be clean while you are working and the work will come in.
I haven't advertised in Yellow pages or anything like that but I did make a website once I had done a few jobs to upload some pics. Also Twitter and Facebook are great for showing off your work to potential customers. Try an advertising campaign on Facebook, I'm very impressed with how effective it is! You can name your price you want to pay too.

As far as hours I don't know how @StevieBoy finishes so early all the time!!? :) I do Monday to Friday most weeks leaving house at 7:30 and not getting back till 6. Been doing work away 3 out of 4 Saturday's too. So busy busy but worth it!

Hope it all works out for ya mate

Hi Joe

Sounds like my experience, I started tiling when I left school with a bathrooms company but they went bust and I didn't have enough training to start on my own, so I did other work for a few years then got back into the tiling full time for the last few years again.
It was hard work at first trying to get enough work and making ends meet, but as folk have said just make sure you do a good job, take your time, be clean while you are working and the work will come in.
I haven't advertised in Yellow pages or anything like that but I did make a website once I had done a few jobs to upload some pics. Also Twitter and Facebook are great for showing off your work to potential customers. Try an advertising campaign on Facebook, I'm very impressed with how effective it is! You can name your price you want to pay too.

As far as hours I don't know how @StevieBoy finishes so early all the time!!? :) I do Monday to Friday most weeks leaving house at 7:30 and not getting back till 6. Been doing work away 3 out of 4 Saturday's too. So busy busy but worth it!

Thanks Joe

S

StevieBoy

Hi Joe

Early? What do u mean lol.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Get Back Into Tiling ? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Wall & Floor Tiler Queensland Australia Tile Right About the role Seeking a Wall & Floor Tiler...
Replies
Views
Hi I am thinking of training to gain city and guilds on weekends I’m just wondering is there...
Replies
Views
Where to get a Tiling NVQ Hi,I did the 4wk course in Warrington back in Sept, being a plasterer...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Beginner DIY Tiler, I'm contemplating drilling (with ceramic tile carbide tipped drill bits)...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB