Discuss getting new customers in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jimmyk07

hi all,
i am looking for some advice in getting customers, contacts etc. Ive just been released from my job ( sign of the times ) and having done a tiling course and several jobs for friends of friends etc, i really dont fancy going on the dole. I was hoping to have a go at self employment, but after doing the usual cards and placing them around tile shops etc, ive only had a couple of phonecalls and one job, so if anyone has any tips for getting my foot in the door,i.e getting other tradesmen to carry my card, and generally just getting some business, i`d be most grateful. Thanks for your help.

T

Time's Ran Out

As much as I admire your resolute, I'd look at all your options before making the move to self employment.
It's a big step with your limited experience and at a time when some qualified tradesmen are finding times tough through the lack of building work, it is not going to be easy.
There is another thread around about the 'joys' of self employment and I believe that it is the best way forward for anyone who has a skill to offer, but your just scratching the surface in a trade that requires more knowledge than some would believe necessary.
Without any pressures and tiling for the fun it can deliver, this is a great trade. If you truly believe you have a desire and it's more than a job - go for it - and you'll find many threads and helpful advice from those on this forum.
Good Luck.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

As above Jimmy, I would suggest you get as much experience as possible. Before embarking on a tiling career, tiling is imo a very underrated trade. A course is all well and good, to give you a very basic understanding of the skills required, but to make a living in this industry you need a lot more than basics.

As Dave and TJ have said, tiling may seem easy, being self employed may look attractive, but in today's harsh climate, you really do need to stand out from your competition. As TJ says there are some very good time served tilers out there. Who are finding things hard atm. If you can get some more hands on experience from a local pro, it would help. A case of not running before you can walk. Good luck:thumbsup:

T

tfs

If you are up to the job mate then the best you can do is start marketing yourself in the local area. Get some advertising going, a website too, contact local trades and if you can affiord to get some sign writting on your vehicle as this will promote you as travel job to job or whatever journeys you make until you get up and running.

You do need to invest some time and money unless you are offered a job.

Yell.com, gumtree, freeindex and other onlines directories will help also. There are too many guys trying to jump on the wagon right now so there will probs be many others who like yourself will be trying to start a tiling business in your area.

If you can secure labouring work with a tiler you would be off to a great start in temrs if getting some good real life experience under your belt. If you want to do the job right, you will realy need to get stuck in and do some research, read the forums, talk to suppliers and use manufacturers tech line when the need arrises.

Do every job to the best of your ability, this is very important in establishing yourself in your area. If another tradesman can look at your work and say you did a great job then your are nearly there, the rest boils down to how you look after your customers e.g. service and keeping to promises, budgests and timescales etc.

Good luck mate

T

Time's Ran Out

Jimmy - You can ask as many questions as you can type threads and you'll get good friendly advice from this excellent forum.
There is work out there and if you walk before you can run, build up a portfolio of happy paying customers and gradually increase your time devoted to tiling alongside another income to pay your overheads, you may find this trade as enjoyable as it can be.
You will find those who value our trade are ready to help see it done with commitment and a degree of passion, but unfortunately some people in times of cut backs may look at the grass being greener and think 'I can do that' and the results are also viewable in threads on the forum.
It's sit down and plan time as you say.
Good Luck and keep involved.

D

Daz

Hi Jimmy & welcome to the forum,

IMO, you need to asses the basic level of income that you require per month.
You will then need to ensure that you can pitch your services sufficiently to achieve this.

Prior to tiling, I had a successful sales career, so when I chose to embark on full time tiling I set myself monthly targets and worked every hour that I could to ensure that I achieved those targets.

I don't think you have advised us what type of career you have moved from so I don't know what your possible skill sets are. What area of the country are you in?

You may be able to find a "friend" on here that is prepared to take you under their wing and help you gain experience and opportunities....

There are no right or wrong ways and what works for one will not work for another. Hang in there and it will all come together!
Good luck,

Daz

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to getting new customers in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
I see and hear all to often of the horror stories when someone hires a supposed tiler only to...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Hey Everyone, I'm Rich, one of the co-founders of Kanda, a quoting and invoicing tool that lets...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
getting new customers
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.