UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Getting started in the tiling game.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

19bri79

Posted recently on here about a career change and have since booked myself on a weeks tiling course the start off April in Edinburgh. Then going to tackle my bathroom see how I go then hopefully get myself a van and all the tools I need to go. Got a few friends willing to give me jobs once they have seen my finished bathroom.

Just wondering if any off you guys have not long started and how you are finding it?

Any other info from you pro tilers would be good, been looking at trade tiler to purchase there starter tool kit the advertise.?

T

tileunique

I personally went into tiling because i love the finished article, ive been a decorator for years but always envied the tilers and their skillset, anyone can tile but no-one can tile like a pro. Theres a lot of things to learn but this site will defo help you along the way.Take your time and plan it out and think about everything, easier said than done especially when your on a price. You need an eye for detail for sure. What do you do at the mo?

D

Drastik Lee

one thing about this game is you will always be learning there are alot of very helpfull people and tips to be picked up on here so keep your eyes out for those also this extract was quoted by BUGS132 on here for another person starting up and itll couldnt be anymore helpful if it tried:

Hiya!
If i was in your shoes i'd do a number of things, now these are sensible and boring but necessary.

1. Try and love your job, ours is a finishing trade, and people can't wait for us to get in and tile, if someone does a duff job the customer is Very disappointed as visually it is so obvious, but on the other hand do a great job and you'll be a hero to the customer, and they will recommend you.

2. Business cards. Get loads done, hand them out everywhere to everyone, it could lead to one phone call that keeps you busy. Name. address, phone number, website, email and what services you do. Vital.

3. And this for me has been the turning point in my business, take pricing seriously.
Never price when you see the job, say to the customer it'll take a couple of days. Now you can think about the job. How long will it take, what materials will you need etc, is there anything awkward or special you need to pay attention too or order. Price it m2, then price it day rate plus adhesive, which works out better for you. Don't work for nothing, but also don't overprice, people aren't daft.

4. Learn Excel. Every pc computer has it, and yes when you turn it on it's just a grid, but this grid is the best tool you can own. Ask any friends that work in offices if they know how to use it, or go on Youtube and look at 'excel fun' and it teaches you easily how it works. This program does everything, all my invoices are generated on it, it can do all your pricing, material costs, add VAT, do your markup, addresses everything. It has totally changed how i work and i cannot recommend it enough.

5. Buy the best tools you can, nice tools make your day easier, and you can offset them against tax.

So there you go, turn up on time, let the customer know if you can't make it when booked (don't ignore this), and it will sort itself.

Hope it all goes well and please post pics of your first job for us to see how your getting on
:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I would rather take my time and get a good job done and get a good name for myself than rush things and make a fool off it..

That's the right attitude to start with.
Someone else has said something similar but i love my job because of the end article. Taking out a shabby, out dated kitchen or bathroom and installing and completing what i hope is my customers dream room.

There's no better job satisfaction than seeing the elated face of another happy customer. Their room is also your showroom. Make sure it's perfect everytime. All the best.

D

Drastik Lee

Like the support you guys are giving me will be on here a lot picking your brains once I get going. You will soon be fed up with all the questions. Don't know if I should ask this here but what is the going rate for pricing I.E m2?

thatll get talk about more when your more involved start with the basic learn how to tile first pricing is different in all areas of the country :thumbsup:

I'm into my 4th year now mate and tiling is very rewarding but also tough when starting out.
Be prepared to work long hours for not a lot of money at first. You have to price by M2 on most jobs and current rates are quite low so if your not fast you won't make loads. DON'T let that make you compromise on quality, it takes years to build your reputation and one job can ruin it!
The best marketing you can have is a website IMO, I don't do any other but that now! Get a decent one that looks the business, it showcases your work and its the first thing a customer sees if that's how they found you.
Get your card out everywhere, tile shops, kitchen showrooms, bathroom showrooms, conservatory showrooms, basically anywhere that might need a tiler, go into these places and sell yourself. I did this loads and eventually got in with a kitchen company, I now do all their tiling and the joiners, plumbers, and electricians! If it wasn't for that I don't think I would have got this far!
I now do really well through word of mouth because I've built my reputation but I'd say it's taken a good three years to build it.
You'll learn loads from this website, a good tip is just to read other tilers questions and try and answer it in your head, then read all the replies and see if your right, if not, you've learnt something! That's what I did at first, still learning all the time!
Hope that helps a bit, good luck, and if you ever want to know more give me a ring and I'll answer any questions you want. I know it's tough to start out on your own but if your really determined you'll do well.

C

charlie1

Ok, I would focus on tiling, forget about everything else. The most important factor that will determine your success in being a tiler is the tiling part! It can be messy and very frustrating at times. It is a very physical job too and mentally draining at times, you need to be at the top of your game 95% of the time! 100% of the time in your first 2 years. I think you need to love tiling to be any good at it because if you didn't love it, you wouldn't put up with the stress it can put you through and jack it in! You will need to be passionate about it, again, if you wernt then it would just be another job and I don't think you can be like that with tiling unless you get in to it when younger!

Good luck

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
You can make a very good living tiling. Turn out good work each and everytime and you'll never be out of work. Envy is my favourite sin! Everybody talks, and every happy customer will want to show their new kitchen, bathroom, conservatory etc off to their friends. I'll guarantee you'll get at least one call from each of your customers if your works top notch.

But regardless of how much i can earn i just love being my own boss!

19bri79

I am in a physical and mentally challenging job at the moment working on machines that run into hundreds of thousands off pounds, so that side off it won't be a problem the only thing am worried about is will I be able to support my family and enjoy life. I have had enough of being away half the year I have worked offshore for 12 year now so 6 off them lost away from home. My choice at the time but its now time for something different so I am up for the challenge long days etc not a problem do 16 hour days as it is out here..
I want to have a good balance with work and home life and I think this can be achieved with starting my own tiling business.

Reply to Getting started in the tiling game.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.