UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss glazed porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

adam87

Hi

i am still relatively new to both tiling and this forum

i recently undertook a 2 week tiling course to try my hand at tiling. I learned a vast amount of knowledge in a short space of time but as you can imagine i am a very very long way from the finished article ha-ha

i am planning on spending 6 months or so helping out friends and family with tiling jobs to practice and improve on my skills

i completed my first job last week, tiling a 15m2 kitchen floor/hallway and must say i was very pleased with the outcome

i have another small job on this week and was looking for a bit of advice in relation to my prep work/ materials

im tiling a bathroom floor and a toilet room floor, both approx 2m2 each

the customer has chosen glazed porcelain tiles 330x330x7, black for one room and cream for the other

first question...... if i use grey adhesive and grout on both rooms wil this look good? or can anyone advise me of an alternative option?

i will be laying ply to tile on and i was thinking of using mapei keraflex adhesive . if i do so will i need to add any primer to the ply before ? or can anyone recommend a better suited adhesive for the job ?

and finally............. any recommendations on grout for glazed porcelain ?

any advice will be greatly appreciated

many thanks

O

On one

Hi, ply is fine - I personally screw down every 4" to ensure a good hold.

Then prime with Bal primer, and you can use the 2 part rubber stuff, in grey available at Topps tiles.
Colour of grout upto customer really, I'm not really a fan of grey grout in Bathrooms, lighter colours look best, but you must use a flexible one.

Hope this is of some help matey
''Then prime with Bal primer'' Incorrect.Prime the underside,yes.Not the side to be tiled.

D

DHTiling

5mm ply no good???? What planet are you lot living on? I have tiled hundreds of floors using 5mm ply screwed every 4" and have not ever had a single one fail.

All this use 15mm ply cobblers is just that - Cobblers.

Who wants a 15mm ply, + 5mm adhesive + upto 10mm = 30mm thick onking great step in their doorway? :mad2:

Muppet.. go feed your horse and leave the tilers to do the real work FFS.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

5mm ply no good???? What planet are you lot living on? I have tiled hundreds of floors using 5mm ply screwed every 4" and have not ever had a single one fail.

All this use 15mm ply cobblers is just that - Cobblers.

Who wants a 15mm ply, + 5mm adhesive + upto 10mm = 30mm thick onking great step in their doorway? :mad2:

You seem very angry StevieBoy. By my reckoning a 6mm backer board glued and screwed = right around 7/8mm + 3mm tile adhesive= 11mm max. If your floor is prepared correctly you should not be using 5mm/ 10mm adhesive bed.

I see by your profile you have been tiling 16yrs, no offence mate but I know tilers who have been tiling 45yrs as I have, the difference is they are still doing it wrong. You should not really be giving bad advice on a forum like this, It gives newbies the wrong idea. And rubs the real pro's up the wrong way, I would advise you to search the forum threads, and maybe BS5385-3:2007 clauses6.3.4.2 or 6.3.4.3 and in the Tile Association document " Tiling to Timber and Timber based products.Plywood should conform to BS EN 636-3 which supersedes the current requirements for WBP plywood. Just my take on it.

S

StevieBoy

I see by your profile you have been tiling 16yrs, no offence mate but I know tilers who have been tiling 45yrs as I have, the difference is they are still doing it wrong. "You should not really be giving bad advice on a forum like this"

Oh my deary deary me - what are you going on about giving bad advice ???

I have only in the first instance given MY opinion for this particular job.
Whether that is right or wrong who is to say?

What I do know, is that all the floors that I have tiled in this way - have never failed in anyway shape or form. I have as you have already noted been tiling for 16 years now, and as I said in my very first post you never stop learning in this trade I know that, I am not that Green!

Different tilers do all sorts of things in different ways, which way is right who's to say?

You have to laugh really

D

DHTiling

Well thats not very nice coming from as I see on your avatar, an Established tiler, Trusted advisor, etc - is that how you speak to customers? - If you even have any

Pmsl ,

I'll leave you to your ways , hopefully your customers trust them.

But let's male it very clear , your 5mm ply is NOT up to BS5385 practice and offers Zero deflection stabilising to any timber floor.

Good luck with your methods, after all those years they must be right.. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

Oh my deary deary me - what are you going on about giving bad advice ???

I have only in the first instance given MY opinion for this particular job.
Whether that is right or wrong who is to say?

What I do know, is that all the floors that I have tiled in this way - have never failed in anyway shape or form. I have as you have already noted been tiling for 16 years now, and as I said in my very first post you never stop learning in this trade I know that, I am not that Green!

Different tilers do all sorts of things in different ways, which way is right who's to say?

You have to laugh really

You know I am sure I could walk across the main road outside my house with my eyes closed ....probably get away with it a few times and then one day !!!!

I suggest you do your work the way you want but dont publish it here....Some people may actually take it serious.

Reply to glazed porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I need advice on score and snap cutting of large porcelain tiles, lets say, over 1000 mm long...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.